Question PC running slow with Ryzen 3900X and RTX 3090 Ti ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2022
So my system is running slow and i'm finding lag even with things like photoshop, it works its just everything is very clunky!

i have 3x 4K monitors with the 2 side monitors being 60HZ and the center monitor 144HZ.

Ryen 3900X
RTX3090 Ti
64GB Ram

I assumed this would be good enough for a triple 4k monitor setup, but since upgrading to the triple 4k monitors windows runs slow for photoshop, and premiere pro ect. Its still usable but everything is very clunky and i get lots of lag in applications. Is this normal or is something likely to be wrong?

Triple 4K? LOL. Yes, for anything graphics intensive like games it will be nearly impossible for it to push all those pixels if you are gaming in a surround configuration. If you are only gaming on one screen shouldn't be a problem and unless you are displaying video or graphics content on all three screens while editing it shouldn't be a big problem.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled in your graphics applications?

Jul 27, 2022
Triple 4K? LOL. Yes, for anything graphics intensive like games it will be nearly impossible for it to push all those pixels if you are gaming in a surround configuration. If you are only gaming on one screen shouldn't be a problem and unless you are displaying video or graphics content on all three screens while editing it shouldn't be a big problem.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled in your graphics applications?
Gaming is fine as it's only one monitor . My issue will be with Photoshop being laggy and nother else on the other 2 monitors

Jul 27, 2022
Check out your drive's (and CPU's and RAM's) performance in task manager while it's 'clunky'.
Anything getting hammered above 95%?
Nope everything is below 20%, think memory normally slightly higher at like 30% because of chrome tabs and Adobe .

Can't figure out why it feels so horrible to use!

So my system is running slow and i'm finding lag even with things like photoshop, it works its just everything is very clunky!

i have 3x 4K monitors with the 2 side monitors being 60HZ and the center monitor 144HZ.

I have Ryen 3900x
RTX3090ti
64GB Ram

and assumed this would be good enough for a triple 4k monitor setup, but since upgrading to the triple 4k monitors windows runs slow for photoshop, and premiere pro ect. Its still usable but everything is very clunky and i get lots of lag in applications. Is this normal or is something likely to be wrong?
Just to see if something shows.

Download this.
UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a link to the results page.

Turning off transparency effects in Personalize within Windows settings, and turning off Shadows in Advanced System Settings (different app) may both help a bit too.
Neither of those things is going to help with Photoshop or Premier Pro because neither of those things is relevant to those programs. And with the firepower this system has, those things absolutely shouldn't be more than a flea on an elephant anyhow, under any circumstances.

Jul 27, 2022
Are you running a Windows installation from prior to the current hardware configuration or did you do a clean install of Windows after you upgraded any of the major hardware? Might also want to do a clean install of the graphics drivers using the DDU if you haven't already.
I believe I did the reset windows some time ago when the CPU was in but the 3090 To wasn't . But again this was just a reset windows including all data.

Do you think it might be worth physically formatting the windows drive and installing windows from a fresh ?

I also have a few other drives that store a lot of work so I've never formatted those , but assumed as the OS is not running from them it wouldn't be necessary

I think it might definitely be worth backing up everything important including bookmarks, settings, files, folders and personal documents that are important, to some external or secondary drive location, and then doing a full on clean install. In fact, if you're running Windows 10 it might be a very good time to simply move up to Windows 11 since you can do so for free using your valid Windows 10 product key. Either way, a fresh installation is often the best way to figure out what's going on since it eliminates so many possible problems in one fell swoop.

And, even if you are experienced with this process I'd take the time to read these first, because often what people believe to be the correct procedure or method, even when they've done so many times before, isn't.

Jul 27, 2022
I think it might definitely be worth backing up everything important including bookmarks, settings, files, folders and personal documents that are important, to some external or secondary drive location, and then doing a full on clean install. In fact, if you're running Windows 10 it might be a very good time to simply move up to Windows 11 since you can do so for free using your valid Windows 10 product key. Either way, a fresh installation is often the best way to figure out what's going on since it eliminates so many possible problems in one fell swoop.

And, even if you are experienced with this process I'd take the time to read these first, because often what people believe to be the correct procedure or method, even when they've done so many times before, isn't.

Thanks , am I right in thinking I can leave my other non boot drives ?
When it comes to windows I learnt from XP not to just jump onto the next release , is windows 11 pretty stable ?

Yes, those with games, personal files, backups, etc., don't need to and won't be bothered by a clean install BUT, you want to DISCONNECT those drives while you do the installation, and then reconnect them after you are done installing Windows, updates, applications and configuring your settings. And it would likely be a really good idea to make sure you have the most up to date stable motherboard BIOS version installed before you do anything else.

Jul 27, 2022
Yes, those with games, personal files, backups, etc., don't need to and won't be bothered by a clean install BUT, you want to DISCONNECT those drives while you do the installation, and then reconnect them after you are done installing Windows, updates, applications and configuring your settings. And it would likely be a really good idea to make sure you have the most up to date stable motherboard BIOS version installed before you do anything else.
Thanks, I'll have a think about biting the bullet this weekend . Trouble is i always forget to back something up haha!

Jul 27, 2022
You have too much background stuff running.
Using 8GB of ram at startup is a lot.

Make your startup group skinny.

Clean off 60/70GB from the 750 EVO.

Get that stuff done then run UBM again.
Will give it a try, because the 750EVO is just a storage device that is hardly used i didnt realise it would be an issue.

I have cleared most of startup in task manager, there is quite a bit running in services but a lot of it i don't know what it is so scared to stop it 😂

Will give it a try, because the 750EVO is just a storage device that is hardly used i didnt realise it would be an issue.

I have cleared most of startup in task manager, there is quite a bit running in services but a lot of it i don't know what it is so scared to stop it 😂
Just picking around the edges.
None of it may have anything to do with your problem.

Services are a good place to get in trouble.
Go slow and do some reading about the purpose of the service.

Userbenchmark is a joke. Literally it's only use is to identify something that is GROSSLY out of whack, and usually when that's the case it's pretty obvious already. I don't see anything in that userbenchmark data other that is grossly out of whack, and even if there was I'd be very skeptical to have any faith in it anyhow.

What are your full hardware specs, with exact model numbers, including motherboard, CPU, graphics card, power supply, all drives, case, CPU cooler, case fans and case fan orientation for each specific case fan location (Meaning whether that fan is oriented for intake or exhaust)?

If you are uncomfortable poking around in services, then don't. You can create real problems in there, although, if you know what you are doing there is little danger. It's not being familiar with which services are core or required for specific programs that could be a problem. And, for most users, if there is a need to do that anyhow then there is probably a need to do a clean install just to clean up all the accumulated cruft anyhow.

Also, you SHOULD be making regular backups of the entire OS image regularly to a location other than your primary OS drive, and if you do that, then doing a clean install brings no possibility of losing something because it will be right there in your backup to grab it from. Macrium reflect and Acronis true image are the two programs I favor for creating regular system backups. If you are unfamiliar with them and have no other software you use for this purpose, you should familiarize yourself with at least one of them and start using it regularly. Not doing so will result in people pointing and laughing at you when (Not IF) at some point your system craps the bed and you lose everything that wasn't backed up elsewhere.

And this goes for more than just the primary drive partitions (Operating system and EFI/Boot partitions) as well. If you have important data on one of your other drives and that's the only drive you have it on, you're being foolish, because real life isn't like the movies and if a drive fails it's HIGHLY unlikely you will be able to recover ANY of the files on it in most cases. Always have EVERYTHING that is vitally important to you stored in at least, AT LEAST, two locations. That was you always have two copies of it in case something happens to one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.