[SOLVED] PC running slower than it used to ?

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
So I've had this PC for around 2 and a half years right now. It was originally a prebuilt because I knew nothing about PCs back then but I've replaced a few parts. However, even after making upgrades, I've noticed games are a lot slower (terms of FPS) and websites take longer to load.

Old Specs:

CPU: i5-650
COOLER: stock cooler
GPU: GTX 960 4GB STRIX
PSU: 600W Thermaltake
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1666MHz
MOBO: MS-7163
STORAGE: 1TB Seagate HDD
FANS: 1x 140mm intake, 2x 120mm exhaust

New Specs (upgraded about 9 months ago):

CPU: i7-870
COOLER: GAMMAXX 400
GPU: GTX 960 4GB STRIX
PSU: 600W Thermaltake
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1666MHz
MOBO: MS-7163
STORAGE: 1TB Seagate HDD and 250GB SSD Kingston (not nvme)
FANS: 1 x 140mm intake, 2 x 120mm exhaust

The old specs were good, but eventually got slower, then after upgrading, new specs were good, but then eventually slower. I've heard PC parts don't lose performance so I'm confused to why this is happening. Also if it's helpful about a month ago my PC would reboot itself after like 30 mins of using after booted up PC, however I fixed it by disabling Wallpaper Engine. Could that be a PSU issue or RAM??? Anyways though if it helps about a month after upgrading I used to get like 100 FPS all medium-high settings in deathmatch CSGO, but now I often get 55-65 FPS.

Last edited:
Solution
What do you mean by Litemode? I did all the rest, but I don't understand what you are talking about when you say to uninstall everything that has a background process.

Basically uninstall everything but your drivers. When it comes to autostarting stuff. This would include anti-virus. You should notice when you get a virus. Install anti-virus when you do, get rid of it, uninstall again. But that's just me. I would include lots of Windows services here but since many of them are interdependent, it's hard to know which you can shut down without trial and error. Disable service, see if something broke. But you gotta test this and that Windows feature to found out. I don't know the test process. But it is timeconsuming.

It is kinda...

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
Hi bobbyboi.

Some stuff you can check first.

The temperature of your CPU and GPU.

How full is your 1TB HDD?

What OS do you have and did you do all the updates?

Did you install the latest drivers for that GTX 960?

IN CSGO:

GPU - 65 degrees celcius
CPU - 50 degrees celcius

HDD - 375gb free of 930gb

OS - windows, last checked: Today 5:44pm, up to date

Latest drivers - Yes

EDIT: I finished writing the first part of my comment, I accidentally posted the thread before finishing so yeah

Last edited:

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
What is your percentage disk usage in task manager at idle?

Have you also tried turning on auto-optimisation of game settings in GeForce Experience?
On idle, it sits anywhere from 3 to 15 percent with random spikes to percentages such as 35 or 45, etc.

I don't have auto-optimisation on. I will enable it but I heard PC parts don't drop in performance over time so it confuses me how I used to get heaps of frames and now I get less and less each month.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
First, try shutting down background processes, in your system-tray. Then run msconfig.exe, Services, Hide all MS services. Go over the list, see what you can disable.
Reboot. Check if performance is better.

Litemode: Uninstall/shutdown everything that has a backround process, that ISN'T a critical driver. So, keep mouse, GPU etc. Get rid of Wallpaper engine etc.
Check for Malware. Don't install junk. If you need a program like one time, uninstall it after.
Disable windows services you don't need. Win+R, services.msc. Print spooler is one, unless you print regularly. Server service. Be careful here what you disable. I like to disable Sysmain too. I don't need Superfetch.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
I don't have auto-optimisation on. I will enable it but I heard PC parts don't drop in performance over time so it confuses me how I used to get heaps of frames and now I get less and less each month.
They do drop in performance overtime due to increasing temperature from dusts cover and thermal paste drying up. As well as your HDD deteriorating and dying.

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
First, try shutting down background processes, in your system-tray. Then run msconfig.exe, Services, Hide all MS services. Go over the list, see what you can disable.
Reboot. Check if performance is better.

Litemode: Uninstall/shutdown everything that has a backround process, that ISN'T a critical driver. So, keep mouse, GPU etc. Get rid of Wallpaper engine etc.
Check for Malware. Don't install junk. If you need a program like one time, uninstall it after.
Disable windows services you don't need. Win+R, services.msc. Print spooler is one, unless you print regularly. Server service. Be careful here what you disable. I like to disable Sysmain too. I don't need Superfetch.
What do you mean by Litemode? I did all the rest, but I don't understand what you are talking about when you say to uninstall everything that has a background process.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

Basically uninstall everything but your drivers. When it comes to autostarting stuff. This would include anti-virus. You should notice when you get a virus. Install anti-virus when you do, get rid of it, uninstall again. But that's just me. I would include lots of Windows services here but since many of them are interdependent, it's hard to know which you can shut down without trial and error. Disable service, see if something broke. But you gotta test this and that Windows feature to found out. I don't know the test process. But it is timeconsuming.

It is kinda like disabling Telemetry. Sounds like a good idea. Until you have Forza Horizon 4 installed and it no longer launches because it requires Telemetry to be on. Who woulda thought that? Windows Store is also easy to break.

Solution