PC runs disk check every time it boots

Jun 30, 2018
It seems to be the BIOS doing the checking/repair, as it does it before loading windows. When it runs the check, the drive it shows is named what appears to be a totally random string of characters, not one of the drives that I have installed (or not the right name, at any rate). It's a bit frustrating as it adds about 20 seconds to a boot that normally would take 5-10 and it does it every single time, regardless of whether I skip it or let it 'repair' the drive.

No idea what could be causing this issue or how to fix it. As far as I can tell, it happened after I partitioned one of my hard drives (half of it is being used to make backup points for my primary drive, the other half will eventually be for backing up other stuff, though I don't have anything to back up to it yet). I've done this many times in the past with no issue though so not sure if it's related.

Specs:
MSI Mortar Arctic B350M, bios version A7
Ryzen 7 1700
Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb RAM
EVGA 1070ti SC
EVGA supernova G2 750W

Drives:
Samsung EVO 860 500GB SSD, SATA (boot drive)
WD blue 1TB SSD, M.2
Intel 540 120GB SSD, SATA (backup boot drive, was my old boot drive from a previous system)
2x WD blue 1TB HDD, both SATA
External 500GB HDD, USB (believe it is a WD blue inside, but not sure, I can't open the case to check)

Given the random string of letters that don't seem to match up to any of the connected drives though, I feel like it might somehow be detecting my keyboard as a drive or something, not sure if that's even possible (though I'm pretty sure most of my peripherals have on-board memory as they're all "gaming" items so maybe?).

Solution
Power off.
Disconnect all drives except for the OS drive.
Power up.
Does it happen again?

If not, then power off, and connect one drive at a time until this condition repeats.
That's the problem child. You then run diagnostics on that particular drive to see whats up.

USAFRet

Titan
Power off.
Disconnect all drives except for the OS drive.
Power up.
Does it happen again?

If not, then power off, and connect one drive at a time until this condition repeats.
That's the problem child. You then run diagnostics on that particular drive to see whats up.

Solution

estes.s.c

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Would like to add that my pc is now in full fubar status. I did not disconnect the drives, just ran disk check on my C: drive and it found errors. Rebooted to fix errors and it fucked it. Doesnt load windows at all. Currently having issues reinstalling windows but thats the only option left at this point (and really has been the only option any time I have any issues at all because windows is apparently incapable of repairing itself ever).

Will just save myself the hassle next time and skip directly to reinstalling windows.