Question Pc runs - Fans only turn on at 70 degrees

Evan builder

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
So I've had this pc since about 2018, I'm not sure what caused this or when it started but my front intakes only turn on when cpu hits around 70 degrees. They go from 0-100 for a few seconds, then turn off. Sometimes even less than a second. The fans are called "ThermalTake Riing 14 LED RGB Colors Fan". I have 2 in my system, both set up to the "Smart fan controller" which is supposed to control the LED's (Which never turn on anymore either). Perhaps the controller is busted? Should I try running them straight to the mobo? I could care less about RGB these days but I want my fan to work normally, not only above 70degrees. I have tried setting fan curve in bios to 50% at 0degrees, which didn't seem to have any effect

CPU: Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard: Asus x470-f
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8x4 3200
SSD/HDD: Samsung 860 Evo SSD
GPU: MSI GTX 1080
PSU: EVGA 650w G3
Chassis: Meshify C
BIOS: 5851
Monitor: viewsonic xg2402 + Benq XL2411

Peripherals: Mouse, keyboard, blue yeti, logitech c920 cam, headphones, 2USB

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Relevant parts: ThermalTake Riing 14 LED RGB Colors Fan with smart controller
Mobo: Asus x470-f

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

As a side note, please check and include the BIOS version for your motherboard. If you're on Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS. As for your peripherals, please include them as well.

Should I try running them straight to the mobo?
CONNECTOR4P PWM (Controller To M/B)
2510-5P ( Fan To Controller )
Don't bother, the fan connectors themselves are proprietary with a 5 pin connector, meaning you're going to need the controller/hub in order for the fans to work, outside of the RGB. That's one of the reasons I ditched anything from Thermaltake for the past decade, they ruined a lot of people's experiences with RGB and fans.

Very likely the controller is the culprit. Another piece of info, that controller also dictates the RPM of the fans, as stated in the manual, here.

Reactions: Evan builder

Evan builder

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Relevant parts: ThermalTake Riing 14 LED RGB Colors Fan with smart controller
Mobo: Asus x470-f

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

As a side note, please check and include the BIOS version for your motherboard. If you're on Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS. As for your peripherals, please include them as well.

Should I try running them straight to the mobo?
CONNECTOR4P PWM (Controller To M/B)
2510-5P ( Fan To Controller )
Don't bother, the fan connectors themselves are proprietary with a 5 pin connector, meaning you're going to need the controller/hub in order for the fans to work, outside of the RGB. That's one of the reasons I ditched anything from Thermaltake for the past decade, they ruined a lot of people's experiences with RGB and fans.

Very likely the controller is the culprit. Another piece of info, that controller also dictates the RPM of the fans, as stated in the manual, here.
Provided the rest of the info.

Well that's a bummer, the controller wont turn on/change the RGB so thats likely it then. And that also explains why I cant edit the curve in bios, it's on the blue setting but doesn't seem to work properly. Looks like I'll need to get some new fans, have a reccomendation for some that are fairly inexpensive? Doesn't need RGB but hard to find one without them nowadays lol

On the bright side, atleast they've been running at all, even just past 70 degrees, couldve been worse since I hadnt noticed

Last edited: