Question PC runs good on benchmarks, but runs poorly in games?

Sep 20, 2022
I'd say I have a pretty high end PC and im pretty happy with it. But I do have some problems I am not able to ween out myself.

Firstly, let me post my specs below:

GPU: RTX 3070 Ti
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
SSD: Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB 3000 MHz
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 Watt Gold
Motherboard: TuF Gaming X-570 PLUS (WiFi)

I'd say I perform quite well in benchmarks (being I score above/within a 2080 TI's level of performance) But when I load up a game, its pretty bad. And I feel the issue is because my utilizations are low. When I load up, i dunno, Destiny 2? For example, I can get by with decent frames at times, and no Im not talking about FPS drops, thats not what im saying, im just saying when the frame rate drops, the utilization is fairly low. Like around 30% or so. Or another game for example, Battlefield 2042, and yes I am aware the game is in a bad state and it still has horrible performance issues, but its all i can do for now, the utilizations are stuck at 50%, CPU wise its like 25%~ and im barely able to get by with 60 FPS, I have tried lowering and increasing the graphics, lowering and increasing the resolution, which by the way did increase the utilization but had a way bigger impact on fps. I do play on 1080p btw and im aware the 3070 Ti is way more than capable of 1080p.

Could this just be something im too worried about or am I limiting the hardware somewhere that i dont know of?

Here's some of my benchmarking scores that I've gotten if this is helpful:

Superposition 1080p High: 17658
Superposition 4K Optimized: 11646
I know USerBenchmark is not accurate but Ill add it here anyways in case: Workstation - 171% UFO / Desktop - 91% / Gaming 148%

Or here's just a link, gee Im glad i just thought of that right after I finished typing this:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55535175

Thank you all!

Sep 20, 2022
It says 1 x 16GB RAM, does that mean you have just the one stick? That would mean you have single channel RAM which is going to do you no favours in something like Battlefield.

Yes, i forgot to mention that, but I had borrowed a dual configuration corsair ram kit and that didnt do anything really. I made sure to benchmark on them and test every game i owned and it didnt do anything. Im not sure if thats the problem here

Yes, i forgot to mention that, but I had borrowed a dual configuration corsair ram kit and that didnt do anything really. I made sure to benchmark on them and test every game i owned and it didnt do anything. Im not sure if thats the problem here
You'll likely get more consistent min frame rates with dual channel memory. It might not be the cause of your issue, but using a 3900X with single channel memory is considered a very severe transgression in these parts. As you say your benchmark results look good so highly unlikely to be the issue, but to rule it out, just check your PCI-E link state in GPU-Z, make sure its running at x16:
View: https://imgur.com/bhQac9c

Sep 20, 2022
You'll likely get more consistent min frame rates with dual channel memory. It might not be the cause of your issue, but using a 3900X with single channel memory is considered a very severe transgression in these parts. As you say your benchmark results look good so highly unlikely to be the issue, but to rule it out, just check your PCI-E link state in GPU-Z, make sure its running at x16:
View: https://imgur.com/bhQac9c

Yep, it is running at x16, I dunno, i had tried dual channel and i will possibly add another stick, but it's just weird how it didnt work. For context, I had RMA'd my cpu as i had suspicion it was underperforming in cpu tests, which i did get a new one and the cpu tests are noticeably higher, i dont remember if i tested it with the new cpu or not

Yep, it is running at x16, I dunno, i had tried dual channel and i will possibly add another stick, but it's just weird how it didnt work. For context, I had RMA'd my cpu as i had suspicion it was underperforming in cpu tests, which i did get a new one and the cpu tests are noticeably higher, i dont remember if i tested it with the new cpu or not
Start with getting the ram in dual channel at 3200 speed.

When you run UBM do it this way.

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

If you really need 12 cores then you would probably benefit from more than 16GB's of RAM.

When you built this machine did you do a fresh install of Windows?