Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
First I'll list my specs:
ASROCK H97 Anniversary
Kingston 2x4GB DDR3
Gigabyte RX 570 8GB
Corsair CX750
i5-4690

Okay, so my PC starts like normal and I can stress it as much as I want with my glorious intel hd 4600 but once I switch to my GPU, it all goes downhill. I cannot watch a YouTube video without it crashing. I had updated my drivers, all of them, my PSU is brand new and tested (covered in warranty since my old one did an oopsie a few years ago). The only thing I haven't tried doing is reinstalling Windows, but to be frank, I don't think that will work, since I had an R9 390X with the same issues, thought it was the GPU, changed it to a 570, and those same issues persist. My only guess is that a capacitator responsible for the PCI-E slot just gave up. Is there any hope for it to be anything else? If not, when I open up my case, what should I look for that will tell me that anything responsible for the PCI-E is broken?

Solution
There is no good test for proper operation of a PSU without some very expensive testing equipment.
Simple voltage testers can confirm a bad psu but not confirm proper operation.
Borrow a known good unit to test with if you can.
Since the only component that has not been replaced is the motherboard, that is the more likely suspect.

FenrirHS

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
What error message or symptoms do you get, when you use the GPU ? Have you properly plugged all the PCI-e connectors to the card ? Can you get past the BIOS screen, or there is no signal on the monitor/black screen ? Update your motherboard's BIOS, if need be.
Hey, thanks for answering. I have updated my mobo BIOS to its latest version. The problem happens whenever I 1. Stress it while displaying graphics from my GPU, then it bluescreens and restarts. 2. I stay idle while using my GPU, then after staying idle for a while and I do as little as open a window, my speakers emmit an ear-wrenching sound, then my screen goes to static and restarts, but WIndows treats it as a BSOD as well. I get past booting and can use my PC for a good 10-15 minutes. Then videos start lagging and it bluescreens. This problem has never happened using onboard graphics even while stressing them (as much as they can be stressed).

I'm sorry, I deleted my previous comment, since it was irrelevant, because you updated your original post, to make some additions, and I didn't read that part of the text before posting. Problem seems to lie somewhere else.

Can you check the card on some other Motherboard ? I suspect some fault with the PCI-e slot of the mobo.

Last edited:

FenrirHS

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
I'm sorry, I deleted my previous comment, since it was irrelevant, because you updated your original post, to make some additions, and I didn't read that part of the text before posting. Problem seems to lie somewhere else.

Can you check the card on some other Motherboard ? I suspect some fault with the PCI-e slot of the mobo.
Unfortunately not, I don't have a second rig around. I have read about capacitators blowing up being the most common cause but idk how that would look like.

A failed cheap psu can cause damage to anything it is connected to.

Dumb question, have you plugged in the aux power that the graphic card needs?
Are the cables fully inserted at both ends?

Under load, a gpu draws extra power.

The possibilities are, in order:
  1. a second bad graphics card.
  2. a damaged motherboard.
3, a bad psu replacement.

Diagnose by substituting known good components if you can.

FenrirHS

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
A failed cheap psu can cause damage to anything it is connected to.

Dumb question, have you plugged in the aux power that the graphic card needs?
Are the cables fully inserted at both ends?

Under load, a gpu draws extra power.

The possibilities are, in order:
  1. a second bad graphics card.
  2. a damaged motherboard.
3, a bad psu replacement.

Diagnose by substituting known good components if you can.
what if I run individual tests on the PSU, Furmark on the GPU. If both end up doing fine without crashes then it's probably the motherboard. I've checked voltages on the PSU and everything is right on the factory defaults. No charts seem to be off by any margin, so it's either a second bad GPU or something PCI-E related on the mobo damaged. Is there a way to test the motherboard though?

There is no good test for proper operation of a PSU without some very expensive testing equipment.
Simple voltage testers can confirm a bad psu but not confirm proper operation.
Borrow a known good unit to test with if you can.
Since the only component that has not been replaced is the motherboard, that is the more likely suspect.

Reactions: FenrirHS
Solution