Question PC screen goes black and I have to hard reset, could it be my gpu?

Jul 8, 2020
Recently I've been having some issues with my pc, whenever I open a game my whole pc crashes, the screen goes black, whatever sound was playing starts looping and the num lock light wont even turn off/on, the pc stays on and I have to force shutdown and turn it on again, event viewer doesn't report any errors other than the sudden shutdown and I've already uninstalled and updated drivers a ton of times, I suspect my gpu is dying since this only happens when gaming but could it be something else?

Solution
Short answer; No.
This is a VRAM issue, one of the blocks is failing and data is missing from the readout.

That or one of the card's memory controllers is nearing its end or is already dead, and given your statement that games will hard freeze your PC, but plays fine on the integrated GPU.
Jul 8, 2020
Sorry if this format isn't the appropiate one, first time posting on this forum:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor

Mobo: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury White 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory

GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 4 GB Video Card

PSU: EVGA 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

The system's pretty old, I put it together 5 years ago and even then it was still a budget build but up until now I hadn't had any issues like this

Jul 8, 2020
I posted my issues on the GPU forums first but a user pointed out it could possibly be my psu, about a week ago my pc started black screening and then freezing whenever I opened a game, I would have to hard reset and then yesterday my screen suddenly looked like this:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/o0cOIas

after that I switched to integrated graphics and everything works fine now and games don't crash anymore (but they run way slower, obviously), I was sure it was my GPU but could it be the PSU? I don't have a spare PSU to test so I have to choose one to replace

Jul 8, 2020
I posted my issues on the GPU forums first but a user pointed out it could possibly be my psu, about a week ago my pc started black screening and then freezing whenever I opened a game, I would have to hard reset and then yesterday my screen suddenly looked like this:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/o0cOIas

after that I switched to integrated graphics and everything works fine now and games don't crash anymore (but they run way slower, obviously), I was sure it was my GPU but could it be the PSU? I don't have a spare PSU to test so I have to choose one to replace

Jul 8, 2020
Forgot to mention, whenever my pc would crash both my monitor and tower would stay on, it would just look like the display died for whatever reason and not even the caps lock light on my keyboard would respond

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Short answer; No.
This is a VRAM issue, one of the blocks is failing and data is missing from the readout.

That or one of the card's memory controllers is nearing its end or is already dead, and given your statement that games will hard freeze your PC, but plays fine on the integrated GPU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS