pc screen no signal in game and when ran furmark test

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick lee97

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
this happen after i tried to play Deus ex mankind divided. the first time i play it, it last 30 minutes before the screen went no signal but with game sound continues.then i had to restart the pc, i play it the second time, same thing happen. after restart again, i play payday 2, it only last for 10 minutes before the same thing happen again. but when i play csgo and the witcher 1, it's rarely happen, and it could at least 1~2hours. when i ran furmark, it last for few minutes, then the screen went into no signal.
after the incident, i've install speccy to check on their temperatur, gpu always remain at 40~68 celsius even when i was in game, but for cpu, when i was just start the computer, it's started at 55 celsius, then sometimes it would raise to 80 or 90 for reason i dont know, when i was in game it was constantly around 90-100 celsius
i wonder if this is the gpu problem, or the cpu problem?
cpu i have is i5 4570 and for gpu is gtx 760
sorry for my bad english, btw

Solution
90c-100c temps are extremely dangerous for your processor, as soon as you find out the temps are extremely high, do not continue running it. The CPU would heat throttle itself to prevent further damage, and forces itself to shutdown in an emergency, if heat throttling wasn't enough.

For your GPU, did you overclock it? if so, your clocks could be unstable, leading to a driver crash, causing that 'no signal' to occur. If not, you can re-install the drivers. Another cause could be overheating as well, when it gets too hot, it will turn itself off and no longer provide signal to your screen.

For your case, this is the GPU's problem. If it was the CPU, no sound will be playing and nothing will be displayed on the screen. You would have...

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
90c-100c temps are extremely dangerous for your processor, as soon as you find out the temps are extremely high, do not continue running it. The CPU would heat throttle itself to prevent further damage, and forces itself to shutdown in an emergency, if heat throttling wasn't enough.

For your GPU, did you overclock it? if so, your clocks could be unstable, leading to a driver crash, causing that 'no signal' to occur. If not, you can re-install the drivers. Another cause could be overheating as well, when it gets too hot, it will turn itself off and no longer provide signal to your screen.

For your case, this is the GPU's problem. If it was the CPU, no sound will be playing and nothing will be displayed on the screen. You would have got BSOD's at that point if it was the processor.

Solution

patrick lee97

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

if i renew the thermal paste, would it reduce the temperature?
no, i never did due to knowing it might be dangerous for the hardware. i had reinstall it, a clean install, and still the same. overheating could be the reason probably, may i ask how long a gpu lifespan is?
so it's a gpu faulty then? it's 4 year old now, could it be dying aldy?

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
It will definitely reduce the temps on your CPU and especially GPU, as graphics card manufacturers put way too much or way too little thermal paste, and they use low quality to save money, your GPU would most benefit from replacing it with better quality thermal paste. Graphics processors can last up to 4-5 years at safe temperatures. When did the 'no signal' problem start to occur? It's likely that the graphics processor is near the end of its life, but you should be able to squeeze more life out of it.

Overclocking is usually not dangerous for the hardware, as long as you know what you are doing, then it should last as long as a component that isn't overclocked. If you are able to manage the extra heat outputted by overclocks.

And yes, it's a fault in the GPU.

patrick lee97

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

it's started last week.
i see, thanks mate, guess i should change my gpu soon

Status
Not open for further replies.