[SOLVED] PC screen randomly goes black rx 6700 xt ( not in games )

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shasoosh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
Hi.
I sent my card to warranty, and they said it was faulty. I've decided not to trust amd, and so had it replaced with a 3070. No issues for 4 months so far.
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out the exact same issue. Same black screen, same event viewer errors. The only (very strange) difference, is that after a black screen, you can no longer boot into windows.
After restarting you'll see the Gigabyte logo and a black screen. Fixing it involves starting the PC in safe mode and reinstalling the AMD drivers.

Aeacus

Champion
Ambassador
The only (very strange) difference, is that after a black screen, you can no longer boot into windows.
For OP, OS was able to recover the GPU fault, for you, it is not.

Best to RMA GPU. Or you can go through all these troubleshooting tips found on this topic, if you like. End result would be most likely the same - another, working GPU.

shasoosh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
I'm already after all the testing to be honest. I'll try another few installs of different AMD versions and will try a different GPU before RMA the AMD one.

I'm still baffled though. Why the OS isn't booting after I restart the machine and requires a new driver install?
The Gigabyte logo is shown so the card is ok .
The driver wasn't able to recover but how come a restart doesn't solve it?
SSD doesn't have any bad sectors..

It's like the black screen forces the GPU into some weird state it can't recover from but only in Windows. Bios etc' is fine..

It's all very weird.

Aeacus

Champion
Ambassador
It's like the black screen forces the GPU into some weird state it can't recover from but only in Windows. Bios etc' is fine..
If you were to uninstall GPU drivers with DDU, would your GPU show image on Windows?

Now, all GPUs work with Windows display drivers, hence why you can see BIOS and Windows, once you 1st install the GPU. But to use GPU fully, you need dedicated drivers.

It's like when you buy mechanical KB or gamer mouse, that has control software (e.g Corsair iCUE with Corsair peripherals). Does the KB/mouse still work without dedicated software? Yes. But to use the said peripherals at their full extent, you need the dedicated software/drivers.

What could be issue with your GPU, is that it's on-board driver chip has a fault, hence why GPU works on BIOS and on boot up, but once drivers are loaded, it won't work anymore. Due to that, i also think your GPU works when you uninstall drivers with DDU and use Windows built-in display drivers.

--

This is where i end my help to you, since you're essentially hijacking someone else's topic. If you want more help, make your own topic.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS