[SOLVED] Pc Screen turning black while pc still running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2020
Hey,

I got a problem where my PC Screen turns black randomly while my PC seems to be still running. Programs like Skype (talking to other people) or listening to music still work normally, only the screen turns black while still turned on (no powersave) and backlit.

I noticed it only happening during one particular game ( which is by far not cpu nor gpu intense). It has not happened yet while browsing or editing photos.

When I look at the event log in windows after hard reboot I do not see anything too strange besides event 41 due to me pressing the power button long to restart.

GPU and CPU are tested for one hour each with FurMark and Prime95 and temps seem fine (GPU:89°, CPU:73°)

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
D432GB 3200-16 Ripjaws V K2 GSK
SSD 500GB 530/550 860
GiBy GP-G750H 750W ATX
Asus ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING X570
Radeon RX5700

Anyone any idea?
Thanks in advance

Solution
DomHey, with only 2 sticks of RAM you should be using the two slots you are using, b2 and a2 (Per ASUS).
Can you try a different/new monitor: Good chance you 10yr. old Benq is dying; everything else is pretty new.
Might be worth simply buying a new 27" monitor and setting the old one to the side as a secondary for simple things like pictures, files etc.
Jan 21, 2020
Try using different power supply or move the ram to the other slots
Will try thank you, however how likely is it that either cpu mainboard or the gpu are broken?
update:
I cannot use different ram slots, for some reason the system wont post unless the ram is in bank 2 & 4. even with one stick it doesnt post when inserted into slot 1 or 3. is that normal on a X570-E ?

Memtest for 2 sticks on slot 2 and 4 seems fine though

Last edited:
Post the make and model of your monitor, please; and its approximate age.
IMHO I don't think it is the CPU, and that is a fairly new video card so probably not the GPU going defective, unless it is overheating. Have you set a fan/cooling profile for the GPU? Also, if it has been in the PC for a few months have you cleaned it out with some canned air?

Jan 21, 2020
Post the make and model of your monitor, please; and its approximate age.
IMHO I don't think it is the CPU, and that is a fairly new video card so probably not the GPU going defective, unless it is overheating. Have you set a fan/cooling profile for the GPU? Also, if it has been in the PC for a few months have you cleaned it out with some canned air?
The monitor is a benq gl2450, probably like 10+ years old :)
the gpu is connected via an hdmi to dvi cable. Pc is newly build after Christmas there should be no dust in there. Gpu is not overheating for this game its sits around 49° and the fans are barely spinning.

DomHey, with only 2 sticks of RAM you should be using the two slots you are using, b2 and a2 (Per ASUS).
Can you try a different/new monitor: Good chance you 10yr. old Benq is dying; everything else is pretty new.
Might be worth simply buying a new 27" monitor and setting the old one to the side as a secondary for simple things like pictures, files etc.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.