[SOLVED] PC security and safety

nikospc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am really confused with PC safety and security programs like Kaspersky and Avira and stuff like that. Every one wants safety ofcourse, but to be safe do I need an Internet security software like kaspesrsky internet security , or a free avast anti-virus to stay safe??

can someone give me some info? all i see on the net is comparisons as to which one is better....

Solution
If you adhere to safe surfing practices (no dodgy websites) and you're running Windows 10, save your money because the built-in Windows Defender should be all you need.
That's been my policy ever since I first got Windows 10 and I've never had reason to regret it.

That's my opinion, others will no doubt disagree, which of course they are entitled to, but it won't change my position.
If you adhere to safe surfing practices (no dodgy websites) and you're running Windows 10, save your money because the built-in Windows Defender should be all you need.
That's been my policy ever since I first got Windows 10 and I've never had reason to regret it.

That's my opinion, others will no doubt disagree, which of course they are entitled to, but it won't change my position.

Solution

nikospc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
On our work computers I utilize a Symantec option. It has worked well in most use, however I have had two users that were still able to infect machines simply due to poor practices. No matter how good the AV solution is if you tell it to proceed....

ok understood, i can also agree with that,, should i go for an Internet security program,,or a av program?

shaharhada

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020

What the meaning of the word practices?

Hello everyone,

I am really confused with PC safety and security programs like Kaspersky and Avira and stuff like that. Every one wants safety ofcourse, but to be safe do I need an Internet security software like kaspesrsky internet security , or a free avast anti-virus to stay safe??

can someone give me some info? all i see on the net is comparisons as to which one is better....
If you’re that worried get a Mac. MacOS is generally more secure than windows, there’s less malware for it and Safari is probably the safest mainstream browser. If not just don’t be a mug and use defender. 3rd party AV software is generally just useless at this point and gets in the way more than it helps

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Check your ISP you normally get a "FREE" (included" AV program.

Just do the basics :)

Keep windows updated
Update all apps
Update all drivers
Update Bios
use strong passwords
never reuse passwords
use MFA
Use adblockers
Use DNS filtering service
Don't' click links
Run a 2nd opinion from time to time
Keep windows smart filter on
Use edge in "VM mode" if you think your going to do something risk or a total separate VM
Don't worry yourself to death

Reactions: shaharhada