Question [SOLVED] PC (seemingly) random shutoff

Oct 6, 2022
I recently swapped out my RAM and GPU, which then required me to upgrade my PSU- and now I'm getting random complete shutoffs. I've gotten them mostly while gaming but also while just running msi afterburner's auto-oc. It's a total system shutdown, but everything else on the curcuit stays on and it doesnt seem to be OCP. System is as follows:

Cpu - i7-7700k
Mobo - MSI z270-A Pro
New Ram - 4x8gb Corsair lpx 3600 ddr4
Old ram - 2x8 gb adata xpg 2400 ddr4
New gpu - Zotac 3080 Trinity OC
Old gpu - MSI 1080 Aero OC
New psu - Corsair RM750x
Old psu - generic 600w 80plus white

I really doubt it's a power issue as OCP isnt triggering and the rest of the room is fine, but I'm thinking this could be an issue with RAM instability- what do you all think I should try first? XMP is on and i hsve yet to use DDU.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When you performed a GPU upgrade, did you remove all remnants of your prior GPU drivers using DDU, before removing your older GPU to replace it with the GTX1080?

i hsve yet to use DDU.
You should do that now.

Also, what made you change the PSU to something more reliable? Wattage alone or did the older PSU croak/blow up?

Oct 6, 2022

When you performed a GPU upgrade, did you remove all remnants of your prior GPU drivers using DDU, before removing your older GPU to replace it with the GTX1080?

i hsve yet to use DDU.
You should do that now.

Also, what made you change the PSU to something more reliable? Wattage alone or did the older PSU croak/blow up?
When trying to use previous psu, system just wouldnt post. System just exceeded wattage on startup (4 fans, 4 drives) and I read 750w to be good for a 3080. I'll try some reseating and DDU now!

Oct 6, 2022

i hsve yet to use DDU.
You should do that now.

DDU done, just experienced the same shutdown, now trying disabling xmp. Is it normal for unstable ram to completely shut off a system like this?

Oct 6, 2022
Turning off XMP seems to have fixed the issue entirely, looks like the memory controller just couldn't handle the higher speeds. Don't skimp on your motherboard folks!