Question PC seems completely dead. Any suggestions?

Squall88uk

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Went to switch on my PC yesterday and for seemingly no reason it will no longer switch on. By no longer switch on I mean nothing. No fans, no beeps, nothing.

I have tested the PSU with the paperclip method and the fan spins up no problem. Switched power and reset connectors to rule out a faulty power button, still no luck.

I'm starting to think it might be the motherboard but I'm not sure.

Another odd symptom I've noticed is that any USB devices that draw power from the PC itself have started flashing and blinking such as my RGB keyboard & mouse, the activity light on my Bluetooth adaptor or my NZXT Hue box/hub (connects to an internal USB2 header). If I switch off the power this stops, after restoring power to the PSU the flashing starts again immediately.

Any suggestions on what to try next??

System specs (just in case):

Intel i5-6600 CPU
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM
ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 Motherboard
nVidia GTX1070 GPU
Corsair CX750M PSU

DavidM012

Distinguished
Switch off at mains for 30mins. Disconnect all peripherals including ssd, optical drive, usb, all of it. Press power button for 30 seconds while off to drain residual power and see if the board will post with only cpu mem &gpu. Buy new cr2032 coin battery for cmos & replace.

try another gpu

try another psu

Still nothing then it's down to mem, board or cpu.

possible that one more component died for some reason maybe a faulty usb peripheral or something but that only tends to waste the usb ports rather than the entire board.

If simply drained cmos battery, nothing else to worry about. reconnect everying and fire it up.

Reactions: Squall88uk

Squall88uk

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Switch off at mains for 30mins. Disconnect all peripherals including ssd, optical drive, usb, all of it. Press power button for 30 seconds while off to drain residual power and see if the board will post with only cpu mem &gpu. Buy new cr2032 coin battery for cmos & replace.

try another gpu

Still nothing then it's down to mem, board or cpu.

possible that one more component died for some reason maybe a faulty usb peripheral or something but that only tends to waste the usb ports rather than the entire board.

If simply drained cmos battery, nothing else to worry about. reconnect everying and fire it up.

OK thanks mate. Will give that all a try and see how it goes. Will be happy once I narrow down the problem part. Will post back with results. Probably tomorrow now cause its nearly midnight here.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Might still be psu,the paperclip test only really shows that the psu has enough power to make the fan spin so don't discard the test with another psu. Looking at that it's probably the older CX series from Corsair might it be likely this.

Squall88uk

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Might still be psu,the paperclip test only really shows that the psu has enough power to make the fan spin so don't discard the test with another psu. Looking at that it's probably the older CX series from Corsair might it be likely this.

My particular CX750M is the one that has the grey label (there was an older model with the same model number that had a green label). From what I rember when I bought it, the newer grey label one was better.