[SOLVED] PC seems to be struggling with new hardware.

jakesq

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
After upgrading the majority of my hardware, my system seems to be struggling with some AAA titles.

I often encounter frame drops for 1+ seconds in titles such as the new COD:MW and No Man's Sky, and major fps reduction from 90 to 40 in titles such as RDR2. It's worth noting I don't experience this in older AAA games such as GTA V.

I understand these games have been prone to poor performance at one time or another, but I can't find nearly as many recent performance complaints for these games excluding RDR2.

I have a neutral case air flow (image attached), despite this it's common for my CPU to idle at 40°C - 45°C on warm boot, and my GPU at 45°C - 50°C, although this is probably down to my quiet fan configuration. I also have a pretty restricted list of start up apps (image also attached), and have recently dusted my pc, re-seated all components, and re-applied thermal paste.

Do you believe my symptoms are justified? (No Coronavirus correlation intended).

Looking at my system, I only plan to upgrade my PSU and RAM in the near future (in that order) as I believe my memory is a bottleneck and my PSU is a ticking timebomb.

CPU: i5-9600KF - Hyper 212 with MX-4 paste. (Air)
MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 UD
RAM: 2x8GB 2133MHz CL14
GPU: RTX 2070 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce 2X
Storage: Intel 660p 1TB M.2 SSD - Only about 50GB free at the moment, not great for cache.
PSU: 600 Watt Corsair CX600 Bronze

Thanks.

airflow.png

tskmng.png

Solution
Thanks for the info, I'm probably gonna get a platinum PSU which should save me money in the long run.

Quick tip. That first top fan is not doing a good job with the air coming from the front. It's exhausting cool air from the front before it's at the CPU. Probably half the air from the front fan is exhausted and half of air goes in your CPU cooler fan. I normally don't setup fans if they go past the CPU at the top.
Thanks for the info, I'm probably gonna get a platinum PSU which should save me money in the long run.

Quick tip. That first top fan is not doing a good job with the air coming from the front. It's exhausting cool air from the front before it's at the CPU. Probably half the air from the front fan is exhausted and half of air goes in your CPU cooler fan. I normally don't setup fans if they go past the CPU at the top.

Solution

jakesq

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020

Would you say I could fix this by just reversing the direction of that fan or would this cause more issues?

jakesq

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Just unplug it and see what happens.

After about 10 mins of COD:MW, I'm seeing an improvement in temperatures.

My CPU peaked at 60°C, staying between 50°C and 58°C most of the time. Before this I would note a max temperature of 70°C - 75°C, although I would have been playing for longer than 10 mins.

However, my GPU still managed to peak at 81°C.

I also didn't notice any frame drops, I'll try out No Man's Sky and RDR2 to see if I get similar results.

After about 10 mins of COD:MW, I'm seeing an improvement in temperatures.

My CPU peaked at 60°C, staying between 50°C and 58°C most of the time. Before this I would note a max temperature of 70°C - 75°C, although I would have been playing for longer than 10 mins.

However, my GPU still managed to peak at 81°C.

I also didn't notice any frame drops, I'll try out No Man's Sky and RDR2 to see if I get similar results.

You should see an improvement. If you look at my amazing paint skill below you will see that the fresh air from the front fan is escaping BEFORE it goes in the CPU fan.

View: https://imgur.com/a/h3rdLlK

jakesq

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
You should see an improvement. If you look at my amazing paint skill below you will see that the fresh air from the front fan is escaping BEFORE it goes in the CPU fan.

Thanks for the support with this, I'm pretty happy so far although I still need to test other offending games. Just out of curiosity, would reversing the fan I disconnected to pull make any more of a difference?

jakesq

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020

Also, after testing No Man's Sky there is still noticeable stuttering, although this seems to have eased a bit (may be placebo).

On the other hand RDR2 is running much better, I can finally sink some hours into this game!

Thanks for the support with this, I'm pretty happy so far although I still need to test other offending games. Just out of curiosity, would reversing the fan I disconnected to pull make any more of a difference?

The problem in reversing that fan you unplugged would be that the air it will bring in will be the air exhausted by the fan beside it. So warm air. If I were you I would let that fan unplugged. :)

jakesq

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
The problem in reversing that fan you unplugged would be that the air it will bring in will be the air exhausted by the fan beside it. So warm air. If I were you I would let that fan unplugged. :)

Okay sure thing, thanks for the thermal tips! Do you think other games which haven't seen an improvement so far are due to poor optimisation or are there any other glaring issues you can spot?