[SOLVED] PC seems to boot correctly, but will not display when monitors are connected DURING boot

Aug 23, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this exact question has been answered before, but I have been struggling with this issue for about 2 years and I have searched the web countless times for the solution with no success. I will try to keep it brief and in point-form.

Here is the problem:

• My PC successfully turns on (powers on, fans run, case and component lights operational) every time.
  • When 1 or more monitors are connected to the PC (regardless of whether connected GPU or MB, and regardless of whether using HDMI or DisplayPort) the monitors will not display anything. I don't know if this is due to a boot failure, as I cannot see anything on the display.
  • There are no beep codes or LED codes.
  • The only way I can get the monitor(s) to display properly is by turning on the PC, waiting 5-10 minutes, and then plugging them into either the GPU or MB and checking if anything displays. This works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't (which leads me to question whether the computer is successfully booting every time). Because this solution generally works, I don't consider this an emergency but a hindrance which negatively affects my ability to work, as it can take several tries and quite a long time to finally achieve success (today it took about 30 minutes).
  • Once I finally get the PC booted, everything works perfectly, and I can plug in all 3 of my monitors (HDMI on MB and GPU work, and all DisplayPort slots on GPU work).
Here are some potential solutions I have tried:

• Booting with all peripherals unplugged
  • Fresh installing OS (Windows 10 Home 64-bit)
  • Updating and rolling back GPU drivers
  • Updating and rolling back BIOS
  • Replacing CMOS battery
  • Reseating everything in the case (except for CPU, but this problem was occurring even the very day the CPU was brand new).
  • I took my PC to the store and had them replace the HDD, CPU, MB, RAM. Replacing the CPU did actually fix some boot problems, but not this particular one. The PSU was replaced within the last couple years, and they did not find (or at least did not notice or mention) any problems with it. I have not replaced the GPU, but the computer store insisted it was in perfect working condition (the GPU is a couple years old but minimally used. I have also tried booting with the GPU removed from the computer and the problem persists). After installing the new hardware, they did not experience this problem (or any problems) with my PC at all. However, I experienced the problem as soon as I tried it at home after having the PC repaired. It may be important to note that they used HDMI and not DisplayPort.
  • I have tried booting with 2 different HDMI cables (one brand new) and 6 different brand new DisplayPort cables on 3 different brand new monitors. I have also tried using a television (HDMI). The problem persisted in each of these situations.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Please let me know if you need my build. Thanks so much for reading.

MB: ASUS PRIME B450M-A Rev. X.0x
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core 3.40GHz
GPU: XFX RX-580
PSU: DeepCool DA600
RAM: GSKILL Aegis DDR4 2x8GB

Monitors: 3x Asus VP248QG (24")

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this exact question has been answered before, but I have been struggling with this issue for about 2 years and I have searched the web countless times for the solution with no success. I will try to keep it brief and in point-form.

Here is the problem:

• My PC successfully turns on (powers on, fans run, case and component lights operational) every time.
  • When 1 or more monitors are connected to the PC (regardless of whether connected GPU or MB, and regardless of whether using HDMI or DisplayPort) the monitors will not display anything. I don't know if this is due to a boot failure, as I cannot see anything on the display.
  • There are no beep codes or LED codes.
  • The only way I can get the monitor(s) to display properly is by turning on the PC, waiting 5-10 minutes, and then plugging them into either the GPU or MB and checking if anything displays. This works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't (which leads me to question whether the computer is successfully booting every time). Because this solution generally works, I don't consider this an emergency but a hindrance which negatively affects my ability to work, as it can take several tries and quite a long time to finally achieve success (today it took about 30 minutes).
  • Once I finally get the PC booted, everything works perfectly, and I can plug in all 3 of my monitors (HDMI on MB and GPU work, and all DisplayPort slots on GPU work).
Here are some potential solutions I have tried:

• Booting with all peripherals unplugged
  • Fresh installing OS (Windows 10 Home 64-bit)
  • Updating and rolling back GPU drivers
  • Updating and rolling back BIOS
  • Replacing CMOS battery
  • Reseating everything in the case (except for CPU, but this problem was occurring even the very day the CPU was brand new).
  • I took my PC to the store and had them replace the HDD, CPU, MB, RAM. Replacing the CPU did actually fix some boot problems, but not this particular one. The PSU was replaced within the last couple years, and they did not find (or at least did not notice or mention) any problems with it. I have not replaced the GPU, but the computer store insisted it was in perfect working condition (the GPU is a couple years old but minimally used. I have also tried booting with the GPU removed from the computer and the problem persists). After installing the new hardware, they did not experience this problem (or any problems) with my PC at all. However, I experienced the problem as soon as I tried it at home after having the PC repaired. It may be important to note that they used HDMI and not DisplayPort.
  • I have tried booting with 2 different HDMI cables (one brand new) and 6 different brand new DisplayPort cables on 3 different brand new monitors. I have also tried using a television (HDMI). The problem persisted in each of these situations.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Please let me know if you need my build. Thanks so much for reading.

MB: ASUS PRIME B450M-A Rev. X.0x
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core 3.40GHz
GPU: XFX RX-580
PSU: DeepCool DA600
RAM: GSKILL Aegis DDR4 2x8GB

Monitors: 3x Asus VP248QG (24")
Have you tried using different dispays with different connections?

Aug 23, 2020
Have you tried using different dispays with different connections?
I have tried booting with 2 different HDMI cables (one brand new) and 6 different brand new DisplayPort cables on 3 different brand new monitors. I have also tried using a television (HDMI). The problem persisted in each of these situations.

I have tried booting with 2 different HDMI cables (one brand new) and 6 different brand new DisplayPort cables on 3 different brand new monitors. I have also tried using a television (HDMI). The problem persisted in each of these situations.
interesting the only thing i can think of is the new boards are having bios flash issues, almost everyone. every other day i'm seeing some problem with ryzen boards bios flash screens being a extreme problem. 84% of the people i see complaining lately are saying that can't access they'r bios' period. 16% are having the issue you are there is no bios flash screen however bios will load and open. i'm think that you may need to rma the board.

Aug 23, 2020
That means nothing some mobo get tested and adjust during testing. Others a stalk set to no boot time for the flash screen by default which is dumb and stupid really annoys me to. I would try checking bios flash screen time in bios. Or just set bios to default settings then set bios flash screen time yourself

I cannot access my BIOS because there is no display.

Aug 23, 2020
Have you tried spamming the f2 button the moment you press the power button on the tower??
That and it is an asus board so spamming del can also work. But you normally want to start spamming the buttons the moment you press the power button
Yes, but unfortunately I can’t tell if the BIOS is working since the display still doesn’t work.