Question PC seems to have died...

Sep 18, 2021
Basic summary of what's happened is that I was just sat watching some videos on YouTube, then my computer suddenly reset itself. Afterwards it would get to BIOS screen and then either immediately restart or just freeze when trying to boot.
Decided to leave it for the night as it was getting late anyway.
Wake up the next morning, and it somehow got worse. I can power it on, but it doesn't even reach the BIOS anymore, and the only way to switch it off again is directly from the PSU.
Additionally, the intake fans start spinning but never actually reach any speed. And worst of all, the lights on the exhaust fans don't come on anymore!
Is this a motherboard issue you think? Specs are as below.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite
Corsair Force MP600 series 500GB NVMe PCIe Gen4 M.2 Solid State Drive (CSSD-F500GBMP600)
Seagate 2TB 2.5" Barracuda 120 SATA Solid State Drive (ZA2000CM1A003)
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 PC4-29200C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card
P850GM Seagate PSU

Last edited:
Basic summary of what's happened is that I was just sat watching some videos on YouTube, then my computer suddenly reset itself. Afterwards it would get to BIOS screen and then either immediately restart or just freeze when trying to boot.
Decided to leave it for the night as it was getting late anyway.
Wake up the next morning, and it somehow got worse. I can power it on, but it doesn't even reach the BIOS anymore, and the only way to switch it off again is directly from the PSU.
Additionally, the intake fans start spinning but never actually reach any speed. And worst of all, the lights on the exhaust fans don't come on anymore!
Is this a motherboard issue you think? Specs are as below.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite
Corsair Force MP600 series 500GB NVMe PCIe Gen4 M.2 Solid State Drive (CSSD-F500GBMP600)
Seagate 2TB 2.5" Barracuda 120 SATA Solid State Drive (ZA2000CM1A003)
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 PC4-29200C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card
P850GM Seagate PSU
Try a CMOS Reset to get to full default settings.

If you can't even get into BIOS after a CMOS reset it's probably hardware related. Go through and make sure all connections are firmly secure, especially that memory DIMM's and drive connections clicked in place and the GPU is firmly seated in the socket. Then try it with one memory DIMM at a time in each DIMM socket.

I'd want you to update to latest BIOS rev but you first should know confidently it will stay stable when in the BIOS setup screens at least.

Sep 18, 2021
Try a CMOS Reset to get to full default settings.

If you can't even get into BIOS after a CMOS reset it's probably hardware related. Go through and make sure all connections are firmly secure, especially that memory DIMM's and drive connections clicked in place and the GPU is firmly seated in the socket. Then try it with one memory DIMM at a time in each DIMM socket.

I'd want you to update to latest BIOS rev but you first should know confidently it will stay stable when in the BIOS setup screens at least.
CMOS was one of the first things we did. The problem is we can reach the BIOS no problem, but it just cycles itself when trying to boot Windows. We've tried doing a fresh install but it never gets that far.

CMOS was one of the first things we did. The problem is we can reach the BIOS no problem, but it just cycles itself when trying to boot Windows. We've tried doing a fresh install but it never gets that far.
Have you tried using just one memory DIMM, and different sockets? the idea is to eliminate things.

Another thing to eliminate is the GPU, if you have another to try would be good.

After that it's pretty much just motherboard and CPU.

Sep 18, 2021
Have you tried using just one memory DIMM, and different sockets? the idea is to eliminate things.

Another thing to eliminate is the GPU, if you have another to try would be good.

After that it's pretty much just motherboard and CPU.
OK, just tried removing the RAM, moving it around, etc. no change.
We previously tried without the GPU, the same issues again (have an RGB mouse plugged in and the lights kept abruptly going off.)
I don't know if this is useful at all, but since PC stopped working, the lights on the exhaust fans have been staying on after powering down. Seems a bit weird, so probably worth mentioning?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
OK, just tried removing the RAM, moving it around, etc. no change.
We previously tried without the GPU, the same issues again (have an RGB mouse plugged in and the lights kept abruptly going off.)
I don't know if this is useful at all, but since PC stopped working, the lights on the exhaust fans have been staying on after powering down. Seems a bit weird, so probably worth mentioning?
Your friend should know their no way it can work without a video card.

I would say power supply or motherboard.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/17/...ies-psus-gp-p850gm-gp-p750gm-exchange-returns

Sep 18, 2021
Little bit of an update. Sometimes before it becomes unresponsive, I'll get get either "system thread exception not handled" or "IRQL not less or equal" BSODs. Not sure how much help that is to anyone.