[SOLVED] PC seems to power cycle on boot but runs normal after

Oct 10, 2021
So I just upgraded my Mobo/CPU and with it when you start the PC lights and fans start but cycle right after, and then fans start speeding up again. Goes into Windows and shows zero issues.

Also noticed when I use the fan controller in the bios, the fan I'm making changes to will power cycle as well.

I've tried to reseat everything, flashing the bios, have two sets of ram -tired both, removing the GPU, removing all drives but boot drive, fresh Windows install on different drive, changing bios settings with CSM on/off, erp on/off, resetting CMOS, loading pre set settings.

This is my hardware
5600x AMD
Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro v2
Team Group 3000 8GB x2
EVGA 3080
Intel 1GB M2 Nvme
Seasonic 80+ 850w

The PSU is the only hardware I have not checked, don't have a spare. It is from about 2018 but trying everything before spending 120ish on another. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like the motherboard does not like the ram specs you initially set.
It looks to see if it can get a setting that will let it run.

Look at CPU-Z memory tab to see what settings you are actually using.
It may be different from what you set.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I would suspect the RAM. If it's 2 different sets, they don't have to play nice together. Which is why kits of 2 and 4 sticks exist. Those are tested to work together. Does it powercycle if you have RAM at 2133 Mhz? Try rebooting 2-3 times. Does it still do it? When you first change settings, PC will most likely power cycle at least once.

It could also be as simple as increasing vSOC to 1.10-1.15v solving it. 4 sticks are heavier on the IMC and tends to require more voltage. And default settings on Motherboards can be all over the place.

Sounds like the motherboard does not like the ram specs you initially set.
It looks to see if it can get a setting that will let it run.

Look at CPU-Z memory tab to see what settings you are actually using.
It may be different from what you set.

Solution
Oct 10, 2021
I'm tried to let bios auto the RAM and used the XMP, I just turned XMP on and restarted a few times - same issue.

CPU-Z is reading,
Memory Type DDR4
Memory Size 16 GBytes
Channels Dual
Memory Frequency 1497.0 MHz (3:45)
CAS# latency (CL) 16.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 18
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 18
Cycle Time (tRAS) 38
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 56
Command Rate (CR) 1T
Uncore Frequency 1497.0 MHz

I also tried to up the vSOC to that range but no change.

Looking at CPU-Z one of the things i noticed is the CPU voltage is only at around 1v but drops to 0.7-0.8v and sometimes 0.5v at idle.

Oct 10, 2021
So update on this I bought a new PSU to just rule it out being as I said it was old. Same issue.

Seemed like the bios also reset and now it's not reading the M.2 boot drive... So guess I'll work on RMAing this Mobo.