[SOLVED] PC semi crash

Vastolorde09

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014
Recently (past month or so), my keyboard, mouse, and display will shut off while I am playing games. The screen will turn a solid color (usually black) and sometimes I will hear the audio lock up. Then the display, keyboard and mouse will turn off but the PC itself will stay on. I have tried to let it sit but it does not reset, I have shifted around my RAM slots, changed my GPUs slot and completely reassembled my PC but no clue as to why this is happening. It primarily seems to happen whilst gaming, though very rarely (1/10 times) not. I have not changed any of my hardware, and the only software change would be upgrading from Win 10 to 11.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
16 GB Ram
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
Radeon RX550 GPU
EVGA 600 BQ PSU
RAM:
A1: Crucial Technology 4GB 2666 Speed
A2: Vasekey 8GB 2666 Speed
B1: Crucial Technology 4GB 2666 Speed
BIOS Version: 2804 x64

Actions taken so far:
  1. Reassembled and checked connections
  2. Disabled PC's ability to turn off USB's to save power
  3. Updated all drivers
  4. Checked MBs Q-LED troubleshooting
  5. Power Settings set to High Performance with Default options

Last edited:
What psu do you have? You possibly have 1 of a few things, psu going bad, gpu going bad, high temp on cpu/gpu or possibly power saving settings in Windows. Try setting power setting to high performance to see if it helps. Then I would use something like Hwmonitor https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.htm to review voltages and temps while using pc and gaming, See if there are any anomalies found in motherboard, gpu, cpu temps and voltages all in one program.

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU, as well as it's age. Also, if you're able to get into BIOS, can you check and see what your BIOS version is? While here, see if you're able to stay in BIOS indefinitely. Ram kit used on your build?

Vastolorde09

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014
Updated, the message with all requested info, if there is anything else you need let me know, I also reset all the settings in UEFI to default to make sure there was nothing tweaked. Also left UEFI running for over an hour with nothing happening, but same as if I am running regular programs, I only seem to crash when running games. I downloaded hwmonitor but honestly Im not sure what I would be looking for and the crashes are too inconsistent for me to know when to check it. I can be playing a game and it crash at a certain point, then I can restart, and start playing the game again, and pass that point and continue playing for several hours with no issues.

Vastolorde09

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014
Found the problem, switched out my current GPU for an old one I had forgotten about in my apt to see ifmy PC would still crash, when I did so, I saw that there were 2 burned cells on the GPU, so that looks to be the problem, and I had no crashes with the older GPU when running it through a few things that were guaranteed to crash my current GPU. Thanks for the help though.