Question PC semi-restarts under stress

Sep 14, 2019
A couple of nights ago while playing Path of Exile, I noticed my desktop lamp brighten and heard a weird pop sound from my PC after which it shut down abruptly. Could not turn it back on even after switching power cables and trying a new surge protector. No burning smells whatsoever. The PSU was my barely 3 year old EVGA Supernova 750w G2 (80+ Gold).

Swapped out the PSU for one from my secondary rig, a , and the PC started back up fine so I was able to isolate it to the PSU.

Yesterday, I turned the PC back on and was browsing on Chrome when I suddenly heard my fans go full speed and the PC restarted. After restart, all peripherals including the monitors remained off until I was forced to manually shut down and restart. I can’t tell if the full force fans were from my GPU or stock CPU.

I proceeded to check the temps on my GPU after the next restart and it was reaching 60C at which point I opened Precision EVGA and increased the curve to something more aggressive. The GPU temps settled between 35-40C while idling. I launched Path of Exile again and after 5 mins it shut off at 60C GPU temp.

The event manager tells me it was an unexpected shutdown with the following error being a NIC Compliance error.

Could it be the swapped out PSU is old/dying or just can’t handle my set up? Or could it be that the initial surge that fried my PSU also damaged some other core components?

Here are my specs:

MSI X370 SLI Plus (MS-7A33)
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3000mhz
ASUS VG248 Monitor
LG 24MP5G9-P Monitor

OLD PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Swapped out PSU: Cooler Master G750M

I should also mention that my RAM has never been able to run at the advertised capacity of 3000mhz. It is always running at 2133mhz. I have tried activated A-XMP profile under bios, but it doesn't seem to help.

Nothing is OC. Drivers are all up to date including bios.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019
Just set the GPUs fan speed to 100% and ran Path of Exile. So far no crashes to report. The temp is avg around 54C, CPU 55C.

Edit: Just changed fan curve down from 100%. Temps for GPU reached 60-61C and PC crashed after 2 mins at this temp.

Edit2: Checked Bios. Seems like OC Boost was enabled which increased CPU voltage, etc. Disabled it and enable A-XMP for RAM (still, nothing changed in regards to the RAM speed). Adjusted fan curve again and restarted the game. Been playing for about 30mins now with the max GPU temp reaching 56C with a low of 45C at times. CPU temp at 55C. Too soon to tell if the voltage changes in Bios was the fix.

Either way, I got an RMA going for the EVGA PSU. Will be swapping it out within the next week and will back back to my old config. Hoping all of this resolves itself once I am back on a 80+ Gold PSU as opposed to this junk.

Last edited: