Question PC set up and Router changes to maximise speed, and expected speeds?

donuttb

Honorable
Dec 10, 2017
Hi All,

(I apologies by my lack of technical language - I dont know where to start with Networking)

We recently upgraded to the 910mb full fibre package (with a 450mb stay fast guarentee) to our house and this was activated yesterday. A full 24 hours has passed and I am currently getting a max of 205 down and 118 up. I am running this network card (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NZ1ZJLR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) with a BT Smart Hub 2.

I have a few questions;
-With the above mentioned; what speeds am I expected to get to my PC via Wifi? (connected to a Halo disk(range extender))
-Are there any routers I get look at getting to drastically improve this speed? (incase the router is bottlnecking the speed - is the router bottnecking the speed?)
-Router settings I can change to maximise my speeds (e.g. via network card properties)

Thanks in advance.

To some extent I am kinda surprised you get that much speed on that card. It is even more surprising that you can get that speed connected to a extender/repeater. I would have said you would get less than 100mbps.

Even if you had a better nic card I would not expect wifi speeds to ever exceed 300mbps unless you are in the same room and then you might as well use ethernet.

You need to test with a ethernet cable to see what you can really get out of your new connection. A router can bottleneck the speeds. When you have a very fast internet connection you have to be very careful about using fancy features on the router. They can get the cpu overloaded very easily at high speeds. You pretty much want to run factory default setting and only set the wifi and admin passwords. Many other features you have to carefully test to see if they impact the performance.

donuttb

Honorable
Dec 10, 2017
I recently bought the NIC card as recommended by some other users on here, its supposedly got a capability of speeds up to 867mbps and dual banding, also, all the mobile devices are getting about 200mbps - is there an NIC you'd recommend?

Is 200mbps expected speed from the router with this package?
Surely if the is 910mbps to the router we should be seeing better speeds in the same room as the router via our phones? Or is this likely the speeds we are getting on the lower band of the stayfast guaranteed 450mbps?

You need to test with ethernet cables.
The number you see on wifi are as close to a lie as they can get away with. This is like calling your ethenet cable 2gbit because it can transmit and receive 1gbit. Unlike wifi ethernet can actually run that fast. There is all kinds of other overhead on wifi they are pretending does not exist.

On ethernet you likely will get the full 450 or even more if you test say late at night when the connection isn't loaded by your neighbors.

You can try a card with say 3 antenna but it is hard to say how much faster if any it is going to be. If they could just keep overlapping more signals they could put 100 antenna on a card and get 100 times the speed. Each signal adds less and less.

It looks like the SmartHub is a 4 spatial stream device and the TP link NIC is only a 2 spatial stream device, so the SmartHub is not the bottleneck. I couldn't quickly find the specs for the Halo device.

If the NIC is crammed under a desk, with the antennas crammed up next to each other, that is not optimal.

If you want to go fast in Wi-Fi, there are just a few ways to get there - wider channels (you should probably be using 80 MHz channels for best performance) - more spatial streams (you could buy a NIC with 3 or 4 spatial streams) - better signal (move the antennas into clear space).

Sep 7, 2020
you can always try an AC Wifi adapter and AC Router to go along with an AC Wifi Extender.

I'm using C6300BD Cable Wireless Gateway utilizing AC1900 NightHawk Dual Band Gigabit Router, AC6120 Wifi Extender, AC1750 Realtek WIfi Adapter. I got great signal through out my place with superb signal strength. I'm not ready to cough up more money for an expensive DOCSIS 3.1 upgrades. Where I live Cox is King and I dislike them in all aspects but I do not have any other alternatives. I can't wait for somebody else to enter the market and spank them around. On the other hand my parents's house was one of the very first area to get FIBER OPTIC from Verizon. It's never down and we've been with them ever since.

TRENDING THREADS