PC setup for Pohotoshop

unstoo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Hi guys,

I am trying to come up with a setup for my new PC. Mainly it is going to be used as a PS/Corel Draw workstation. To be more specific, I am going to use it for drawing illustrations (wacom graphic tablet) in these applications.

I am certainly trying to hit the buck. And, the top price tag for me would be 900$.

Here's what I came up with, so far:

M/B: AS Rock P67 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core - i5 2500K
RAM: G.Skill - DDR3 12GB (3x4GB) CL9 PC1600
GPU: GF - GT220
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200. 12. (1TB)

Am I missing anything?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and thoughts.

Regards.

Solution
MB and CPU are good choices.

MEM - The P67 platform, or any current Sandy Bridge platform, has dual memory controllers so install them in pairs. Installing the three modules will have you running in single channel mode (not ideal). 8GB of memory is fine for now and leaves you an upgrade option later if you so choose.

HD - Not bad with the 7200.12. The Samsung F3 1TB is perhaps a better option for its reliability and speed.

GPU - The GT220 is.... eh. How about upgrading that to the HD 5570? Similar price, but much better performing.
MB and CPU are good choices.

MEM - The P67 platform, or any current Sandy Bridge platform, has dual memory controllers so install them in pairs. Installing the three modules will have you running in single channel mode (not ideal). 8GB of memory is fine for now and leaves you an upgrade option later if you so choose.

HD - Not bad with the 7200.12. The Samsung F3 1TB is perhaps a better option for its reliability and speed.

GPU - The GT220 is.... eh. How about upgrading that to the HD 5570? Similar price, but much better performing.

Solution

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I agree with sadams...though I don't see a PSU. Make sure it is a quality unit (Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec).

Do you need an OS? $100 for Win 7 Home Premium

Peripherals? Monitor?

Also, I'm wondering if a 2600k would be justified here...not sure how much Hyper-Threading will help...doubt $100 worth anyway...and probably not feasible with the budget...nevermind ;)

unstoo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Thank you for your replays.

Sadams, it's great to find out about memory installation specification, before purchasing it, gonna save me $50. Samsung HDD is also a few bucks cheaper.

I haven't done a lot of researches on GPU, all I have really understood that, for my purpose, I do not need high-end GPU. I will consider your advise, and switch to ATI.

nd_hunter, I didn't thought about PSU, yet. And, I don't really think that i7 2600k would be justified for me right now.

Speaking of monitor, it's not included in my budgeted, and I am currently considering to go for Dell UltraSharpTM U2311H (if you won't advice any alternatives? ;) )

Actually, after saving some funds on RAM, I wonder would it be a good idea to go for another M/B (giga-byte ga-x58a-ud3r ich10r s1366 atx s. 1366). To have more flexibility in the future?

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Actually, that U2311H would be my first recommendation for a graphics professional.

Stick with that ASRock motherboard. That i5-2500k CPU needs to go on an LGA 1155 motherboard (H61/H67/P67/Z68 chipset). The one you chose (ASRock P67 Extreme4) is a bit overkill for your needs and has all the flexibility you will ever need (ie. SATA III for a future SSD boot drive, USB 3.0 for an external hard drive, x8/x8 Crossfire/SLI, full ATX form factor), plus it overclocks well and is stable. It also comes with a nice USB 3.0 front panel that can hold an SSD.

unstoo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Thank you once again.

It's a pity I am not from the US. Newegg have really nice price tags there. I'd rather check with my local customs what fee they would charge if I order from the US. (8GB RAM would cost 140$ for me here x_x).

And the final thing I would like to reassure, is that I won't have any problems running x64 Win/PS?