PC Share of DRAM Shipments Drops Below 50% Since 1980s

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I knew who would have written this long before i opened it, the doom prophet strikes again.

Haven't needed to buy new ram in years even with several builds - There have been no need as the mem specs are still the same...

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
@memadmax well in the past gaming was mostly the main reason the PC was upgraded but since game developers are stuck at making games for consoles ... you got your answer... of course this from the gaming perspective only. That`s the main reason that the games graphics haven`t evolved since few years already ... because they have the scrap any high details to make them work on several years old console hardware.

dgingeri

Distinguished
It's Microsoft's 'fault'. They've been driving the memory business for years with new OSes. The last two, though, don't demand more memory. Therefore, the memory market takes a little dip. That, combined with the new smartphone and tablet markets, cause it to dip below 50%. woopee. Not really that unexpected.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Most computers out there today are good enough for what most people use them for, so they are not being replaced as fast. Mobile devices are considered disposable by nature, so people throw them out every couple of years for the new model.

I bought 16 gigs of ram for less than $200. I remember when 16 MEGS for that price would have been an awesome deal.

The problem is that there just isn't enough software that can use it all.

SoiledBottom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I am becoming a big fan of Wolfgang Gruener and his style of comedy writing.
I see an article of his and I know its always good for a chuckle.

Wolfgang...will you be touring this summer at comedy clubs ?

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]I bought 16 gigs of ram for less than $200. I remember when 16 MEGS for that price would have been an awesome deal. The problem is that there just isn't enough software that can use it all.[/citation]

I know, right? With my first system, i bought and extra 4MB of memory, to put it up to 8MB, for $400 at $100 per 1MB 30 pin SIMM. I ran with only 12MB from 1995 (when I got Windows 95) to 1998. I remember getting 16MB of memory at the same time I got Windows 98.

These days, I have 5 systems in my apartment: two servers (practicing for Hyper-V and ESXi certs) and my main machine at 16GB, my laptop at 8GB, and my HTPC with 4GB. I got the 8GB (paired 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMMs) for my laptop for only $40. It's crazy how things change.

These days, virtual hosts are the big driving force of the memory demand. I just bought 4 sets of 512GB (32 16GB DDR3-1066 Reg ECC DIMMs, each) for a certain vSphere 5 cluster. Virtual hosts suck down memory and storage like mad. CPUs are too powerful, and never get fully utilized. (The vSphere 5 cluster I partially administer was rarely above 20% CPU utilization across all quad socket 8 core processors with 256GB of virtual machines. That's why we ordered more memory for it instead of adding additional hosts. Sure the memory cost $80k, but it would have been $120k to add 4 more hosts.)

If anyone needs a job, have them learn some sort of virtualization skill. From what I've seen in the job market, Hyper-V, VMWare's vSphere, Xen, and Virtualbox are the big ones. I'm sure some will fall away in time while others get better. In the mean time, I'm ensuring my career by getting certified with Hyper-V and vSphere 5.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]@memadmax well in the past gaming was mostly the main reason the PC was upgraded but since game developers are stuck at making games for consoles ... you got your answer... of course this from the gaming perspective only. That`s the main reason that the games graphics haven`t evolved since few years already ... because they have the scrap any high details to make them work on several years old console hardware.[/citation]

you forget multimedia.
with a quad core, or a decent videocard, 1080p 3d is easy enough to play, and much to may people ire, 4k will not catch on like 1080p did, it will come, but wont be here for many years.

fact is we have computers that are good enough, and even if pc gameing was the only way to game, i find it hard to believe that a well coded game would eat a 4 core processor to the extent its unplayable without an upgrade. granted i can see the need to push a more powerfull gpu, but not cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.