Question PC Shocked Me For The First Time

Jun 16, 2019
64
0
30
0
I upgraded my pc yesterday and moved it downstairs and today when I woke up and went to my pc I touched it and I got a shock, should I be worried?
 
Jun 16, 2019
64
0
30
0
Is it a continuous tingling when you're touching it, or just a single shock when you first touch it?
Well there is no tingling when I’m touching it,I’m pretty sure it just shocked me once this morning when I went to turn it on but that’s about it, it’s weird because this is the first time it’s ever done this.No lie I’m not sure if it was even a shock,I just heard a noise as I was touching it and felt a feeling but it could’ve been just the feeling of me touching the case, but just to make sure It can’t cause damage right?
 

TJ Hooker

Glorious
Herald
Do you find static electricity is worse in your basement? Air could be a bit cooler and/or dryer, or maybe you have thick carpet down there, etc.

I used to live somewhere where static electricity was really bad, and when I shocked my PC it would sometimes reboot or blue screen. I doubt any lasting damage was being caused, but I started grounding myself before touching my PC. Just touch something grounded nearby. A screw on a light switch/outlet, a metal lamp, your monitor stand (if it's metal), etc.
 
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019
64
0
30
0
Do you find static electricity is worse in your basement? Air could be a but cooler and/or dryer, or maybe you have thick carpet down there, etc.

I used to live somewhere where static electricity was really bad, and when I shocked my PC it would sometimes reboot or blue screen. I'm not sure any lasting damage was being caused, but I started grounding myself before touching my PC. Just touch something grounded nearby. A screw on a light switch/outlet, a metal lamp, your monitor stand (if it's metal), etc.
Alright so one shock shouldn’t do any damage right?I feel like if the pc is grounded to the outlet then I shouldn’t be getting shocked unless I’m wrong.
 

TJ Hooker

Glorious
Herald
I very much doubt you did any damage. Not much you could do about now even if you did.

It can't hurt to double check that the outlet is grounded, but even if it is you can still get shocked. You build up a static charge as you move around, then you discharge when you touch your conductive case.
 
Jun 16, 2019
64
0
30
0
I very much doubt you did any damage. Not much you could do about now even if you did.

It can't hurt to double check that the outlet is grounded, but even if it is you can still get shocked. You build up a static charge as you move around, then you discharge when you touch your conductive case.
How do I know if I did?I still am in the replacement/return window
 

TJ Hooker

Glorious
Herald
If you're really concerned you could run some stability tests to make sure everything is still stable. This article has details on how you can stability test your memory and CPU: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/
For you GPU, just run some graphics benchmarks, or just game for a while and look for any graphical artifacts or crashes.

But like I said, I wouldn't be worried. I'd just continue to use your PC normally while maybe keeping an eye out for any unusual behaviour.
 
Jun 16, 2019
64
0
30
0
If you're really concerned you could run some stability tests to make sure everything is still stable. This article has details on how you can stability test your memory and CPU: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/
For you GPU, just run some graphics benchmarks, or just game for a while and look for any graphical artifacts or crashes.

But like I said, I wouldn't be worried. I'd just continue to use your PC normally while maybe keeping an eye out for any unusual behaviour.
What is considered unusual behavior
 

Nemesia

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
941
168
640
25
Getting a static shock while you touch your hardware inside the case is destructive. I know. The first time I opened a case a long time ago i said "Ouch" and it destroyed a few component in the system. I learned fast. If you got a shock on your PC case that's not the same. I never saw someone blow up their hardware by getting a static shock on their metal case.
 
Reactions: TJ Hooker

Nemesia

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
941
168
640
25
And I just want to add this.

Microchip damage can occur if it is exposed to static electricity as low as 10 volts, and humans are not able to perceive static electricity until it has reached about 1,500 volts. Walking across a rug can produce a static electricity voltage of up to 12,000 volts so you can see why touching your hardware and getting a 12,000 volts static shock directly on the hardware can easily fry that part and everything around it.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Systems 8
J Systems 6
S Systems 3

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS