Question PC shocks me

Aug 24, 2019
27
0
30
0
Hey guys. Recently, i’ve bought myself a new psu because i thought my last one was faulty. Finished building everything. If i touch any part that’s metal it shocks me. I really don’t know what to do. I plugged a speaker to my pc and connected the aux to my phone and the phone was shocking as well. What could be wrong here?
Added: i’ve noticed if i lift my feet of my tiles it doesn’t shock me??
 
Last edited:
Hey guys. Recently, i’ve bought myself a new psu because i thought my last one was faulty. Finished building everything. If i touch any part that’s metal it shocks me. I really don’t know what to do. I plugged a speaker to my pc and connected the aux to my phone and the phone was shocking as well. What could be wrong here?
The PC is not grounded.
Things to try.
Try a different outlet.
Try a different power cord.
The case needs to be grounded.
If it's grounded you won't get shocked from it.
If you run a wire from the case to a ground.....you won't get shocked from it.
 
This didn’t happen with the old psu?
Then it may be a faulty PSU.
The ground wire goes from the outlet to the PSU.
It is SUPPOSED to be connected to the frame of the PSU.
If it isn't....you can get shocked.
One thing to try that should get rid of it is.....attach a wire to the metal on the case.
Attach the other end to a ground.
You should not get shocked from the case anymore if you do this.
 
Then it may be a faulty PSU.
The ground wire goes from the outlet to the PSU.
It is SUPPOSED to be connected to the frame of the PSU.
If it isn't....you can get shocked.
One thing to try that should get rid of it is.....attach a wire to the metal on the case.
Attach the other end to a ground.
You should not get shocked from the case anymore if you do this.
I was asking the question :)
 
Aug 24, 2019
27
0
30
0
The PC is not grounded.
Things to try.
Try a different outlet.
Try a different power cord.
The case needs to be grounded.
If it's grounded you won't get shocked from it.
If you run a wire from the case to a ground.....you won't get shocked from it.
I think it could be my outlet. This is dumb, but how do you run a wire from the case?
 
I think it could be my outlet. This is dumb, but how do you run a wire from the case?
Did you old PSU shock you?
As far as running a wire from the case to ground.
It's very easy.
It won't hurt anything.
This is how it's supposed to be.
You get a wire. One end needs to be connected to the metal on the case.
Usually I find a screw...loosen it....wrap the wire under the head....tighten it.
The other end goes to "a ground".
Many times....water pipes are grounds.....but also....the middle pin of your outlet should also be a ground.

....but the main thing here is.....did the old PSU shock you?

If not.....I think it's almost surely the PSU that's the problem.

If it did......then it's the outlet or the power cord.
 
Aug 24, 2019
27
0
30
0
Did you old PSU shock you?
As far as running a wire from the case to ground.
It's very easy.
It won't hurt anything.
This is how it's supposed to be.
You get a wire. One end needs to be connected to the metal on the case.
Usually I find a screw...loosen it....wrap the wire under the head....tighten it.
The other end goes to "a ground".
Many times....water pipes are grounds.....but also....the middle pin of your outlet should also be a ground.

....but the main thing here is.....did the old PSU shock you?

If not.....I think it's almost surely the PSU that's the problem.

If it did......then it's the outlet or the power cord.
Old PSU shocked me as well thats why i got another one.
 
Is it okay or should i get an electrician to ground my electrical outlets?
If you don't know what you're doing with the outlet....it's probably a good idea to find someone who does......but it may not require an electrician.....whatever the problem is.....it isn't complicated. If you just found someone who knows how to wire an outlet.....they should be able to figure it out.
 
Aug 24, 2019
27
0
30
0
If you don't know what you're doing with the outlet....it's probably a good idea to find someone who does......but it may not require an electrician.....whatever the problem is.....it isn't complicated. If you just found someone who knows how to wire an outlet.....they should be able to figure it out.
The thing is I don’t know how to explain this to the electrician here in my country. I’m not fluent in my language which sucks.
 
The thing is I don’t know how to explain this to the electrician here in my country. I’m not fluent in my language which sucks.
I think that if you tell anyone who knows how to wire an outlet....that the one you have isn't wired right.....they will be able to figure it out.

It's probably just that either...
1.) The ground wire isn't connected to the outlet.
OR
2.)As was said above....the hot and neutral wires need to be switched.
 
Aug 24, 2019
27
0
30
0
I think that if you tell anyone who knows how to wire an outlet....that the one you have isn't wired right.....they will be able to figure it out.

It's probably just that either...
1.) The ground wire isn't connected to the outlet.
OR
2.)As was said above....the hot and neutral wires need to be switched.
Thanks for the help guys! Also if you haven’t seen if i lift my feet off the ground and touch the pc it won’t shock me. So i guess the outlet is the problem?
 
Also.....an outlet can be wired wrong.....and many things will work just fine in it!
You can have the neutral and hot leads switched or the ground disconnected and many times....things like lamps will work just fine!
So you can have a bad outlet and not know it UNTIL you plug something in that needs it to be wired correctly....LIKE YOUR PC......and you SEE the problem.
 
Aug 24, 2019
27
0
30
0
Also.....an outlet can be wired wrong.....and many things will work just fine in it!
You can have the neutral and hot leads switched or the ground disconnected and many times....things like lamps will work just fine!
So you can have a bad outlet and not know it UNTIL you plug something in that needs it to be wired correctly....LIKE YOUR PC......and you SEE the problem.
Alright, thanks for the help man! Appreciate it!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY