[SOLVED] PC showing black screen

Jan 26, 2021
So this has been going on for a bit long, I got my pc checked, shop keeper said it was my mobo, i got it replaced, PC worked fine for a week until it started to show the same problems again. Mostly when I am playing a game like CS GO, this tends to happen, random black screen when I can hear every audio. I ran a mem test to check my RAMs, they were working fine, my GPU's temps everything is fine on furmark tests and PC doesn't shut down even then or on normal usage, its always when I am gaming. What I have noticed is that I get lower fps these days all of a sudden which shouldn't be happening I guess. When PC shuts down, it doesn't boot up for quite some time and when I turn it on after like half an hour, it works well for 8-10 hours until i start gaming and boom black screen again. One thing is for sure it isn't my mobo, its brand new. I have two HDDs, 1 is 100% health other is 80% could it be causing it? My GPU is tested on another PC, my friend had the same issue and even after he changed his PSU, the problem still persisted. I don't know what to do honestly.

Specs: Intel i5-2400
-H61 mobo
-320gb + 250gb HDD (80& health and has the OS)
-8gb RAM
-iCute 500W PSU (ik lol trash brand, this PC is really old and I haven't upgraded due to exams)
-GPU: AMD RADEON RX 550 2GB

My doubt was mobo, mem tests came back fine gpu is fine, could it be the PSU or HDD? This problem happens after a long time so I wouldn't really know what is causing it till I play on the PC for a week. Thanks in advance. I'm thinking of removing the HDD with lower health and shifting to only 320GB for a while to check if its really causing the black screen.

Solution
Those temps are fine.
Not familiar with Hard Drive Sentinel. Are you running chkdsk in windoze and finding errors? A bad drive could definitely cause stuttering, slow startups and more.

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Viruses? Probably not, but worth checking for.
Windows Update up to date?
How's about the graphics driver, did you get a new one, or update recently, clean install or upgrade? Are all your other drivers up to date? Bios up to date?

Having a flakey drive will cause all kinds of grief, particularly very slow startups. Not sure what you mean by 80%, but if the drive is reporting errors, deal with this first. You list them as HDD, which usually means spinning platter, if you do have to replace a drive, get an SSD or M.2 on a riser card. WAAAAAAYYYYYYY faster.

But honestly, it sounds a bit like your graphics card is giving up. Have you checked to be sure there's no dirt blocking the fan and exchanger? Can you try another graphics card in your machine? Can you watch your GPU temps while gaming? Like what's it doing just before it flakes out?

Jan 26, 2021
Viruses? Probably not, but worth checking for.
Windows Update up to date?
How's about the graphics driver, did you get a new one, or update recently, clean install or upgrade? Are all your other drivers up to date? Bios up to date?

Having a flakey drive will cause all kinds of grief, particularly very slow startups. Not sure what you mean by 80%, but if the drive is reporting errors, deal with this first. You list them as HDD, which usually means spinning platter, if you do have to replace a drive, get an SSD or M.2 on a riser card. WAAAAAAYYYYYYY faster.

But honestly, it sounds a bit like your graphics card is giving up. Have you checked to be sure there's no dirt blocking the fan and exchanger? Can you try another graphics card in your machine? Can you watch your GPU temps while gaming? Like what's it doing just before it flakes out?
GPU temps are 68 max with all the load on it, I've checked the same GPU on other machines and its working fantastically. The first thing I looked up for was my GPU and every stress test, temperature on 30% fan usage shows there's nothing to worry about. A stress test should've showed the black screen because CS GO isn't that much graphic intensive I guess. FPS is sometimes 80 in CS but mostly 200-250, keeps on dropping for a split second but yeah, there are stutters. 80% of the HDD was the health that I checked from Hard Drive Sentinel. AMD Adrenalin is up-to-date so I don't think drivers are a problem right now, might get a fresh install for that too. Max temp with CS is 53 degrees. Going to update my BIOS while I can, thank you.

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Those temps are fine.
Not familiar with Hard Drive Sentinel. Are you running chkdsk in windoze and finding errors? A bad drive could definitely cause stuttering, slow startups and more.

Solution
Jan 26, 2021
Windows has checked the file system and found problems. PC has been slow so I am assuming its the HDD, thanks for your help mate, appreciate it, I'll update you after replace my HDDs and if the problem still persists.