[SOLVED] PC shows only half the RAM than it should, what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sepywishes

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
Context:
A couple of years ago I first built my computer using these specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FQDZhy and not even a month later it stopped working. My CPU was reaching temps of 90 Celsius which I know is way hotter than it should be. I took the PC to my cousin who builds computers to find out what was wrong and it turns out that the graphics card and the slot on the motherboard that it was connected to was completely broken/unusable. I sent both the motherboard and the graphics card back to the proper people and I ended up getting a replacement graphics card but I still got the old motherboard. A several days ago I put together my PC again but this time I did not touch anything in the BIOS unlike before where I did and I was finally able to get my computer back to the way it was suppose to be. The CPU temp is between 40 and 65 Celsius even after being overclocked by 11%.

Question:
The BIOS shows that I only have 8gb of ram when it should show 16gb; same thing when I looked into System Information and it said that only 8gb of physical ram was installed. I thought that maybe I didn't install the ram stick correctly but after making sure it was in I still saw half memory. I've never heard the beeps that indicate hardware problems. I fear that maybe what happened to the previous graphics card has also happened to one of the ram sticks where in both the ram stick and the slot it was connected to may be broken. I am confused and afraid to try anything out of fear that I may break my computer again. What do I do?

SOLVED:
The problem was that one of the ram sticks wasn't installed all the way which was weird because I really thought I put them in correctly.

Last edited:

Sepywishes

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
Make sure both memory sticks are fully/firmly locked into the appropriate slots on the motherboard.
That is exactly what I said I did but it still doesn't show up. I guess what I am asking is if there was something wrong with the ram slot or ram stick then wouldn't my computer make the beeping sound that indicates hardware problems?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try each memory stick, one at a time, in each slot. See if you have a slot or memory stick problem.

If all slots work and recognize a single stick properly, but not when two are installed, then the problem may be the CPU itself.

Does the BIOS only see a single stick of memory, or two sticks?

Sepywishes

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
Try each memory stick, one at a time, in each slot. See if you have a slot or memory stick problem.

If all slots work and recognize a single stick properly, but not when two are installed, then the problem may be the CPU itself.

Does the BIOS only see a single stick of memory, or two sticks?
It sees only one stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.