[SOLVED] Pc shut down and has weird smell won’t boot

Sep 19, 2019
I was playing a game when my screen suddenly turned white and I couldn’t exit or anything so I shut down the pc I turned it on again when I started playing the white screen happens again so I shut it down and booted it up again and started reinstalling nvidia drivers cause I though that was what was causing the white screen hen it shut down while installing them and it had a weird smell which is coming from the cpu and gpu but not the psu and it won’t boot up anymore the power button did flicker red for a second but that was it please help

Solution
7700k not overclocked(~90w) + GTX 1060(120w) + 50w(headroom for everything else = 260w
Looks good if you just look at it like that... but you had a psu that wasn't designed to deal with gaming loads.
Office PCs are steady, and much more constant.
Gaming oriented PCs are constantly fluctuating, with many a sudden spike in load, which just any cheap unit will be unable to deal with.

Toss the gpu in the trash, it's roasted, and toss that psu in there along with it, unless you want to risk incinerating anything else... assuming nothing else is damaged.

Avoid cheap power supplies!

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
Can you identify where the smell is coming from (the area with the strongest smell) when you remove the side panel? Remove the video card and power supply from the case and smell them off to the side to narrow down what part it might be.

Sep 19, 2019
Can you identify where the smell is coming from (the area with the strongest smell) when you remove the side panel? Remove the video card and power supply from the case and smell them off to the side to narrow down what part it might be.
And also when I removed the gpu a little silver peace fell of and it looked kinda burnt

Sep 19, 2019
stick with 1 thread
I was playing a game when my screen suddenly turned white and I couldn’t exit or anything so I shut down the pc I turned it on again when I started playing the white screen happens again so I shut it down and booted it up again and started reinstalling nvidia drivers cause I though that was what was causing the white screen hen it shut down while installing them and it had a weird smell which is coming from the gpu but not the psu and it won’t boot up anymore the power button did flicker red for a second but that was it please help

Sep 19, 2019
Already sounds like you need to replace the gpu and the power supply(whatever it was) that killed it.
Burning smells and parts falling out are indication of
Already sounds like you need to replace the gpu and the power supply(whatever it was) that killed it.
Burning smells and parts falling out are indication of some part's funeral.
I did The paperclip test thing at it worked fine could it be the motherboard the gpu also looks fine other then the one part and it doesnt really smell that burnt

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't say the psu was dead, but what killed the gpu. The motherboard is 'just the messenger'.
The psu is the heart of your system. When you have hardware failures like this, the psu should be the primary suspect.
Do not continue to use that unit or you risk losing another gpu - or something else - in the same manner.

Sep 19, 2019
I didn't say the psu was dead, but what killed the gpu. The motherboard is 'just the messenger'.
The psu is the heart of your system. When you have hardware failures like this, the psu should be the primary suspect.
Do not continue to use that unit or you risk losing another gpu - or something else - in the same manner.
How do you know the gpu is dead ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Because you told us yourself.
-"...gpu has strong, burnt smell..."
-"...a small silver piece(sounds like a capacitor) fell off, and is also burnt..."
Damage, something of which you, nor your general PC repair associate, will not be able to repair... it may as well be dead.
And no, the gpu baking technique won't work here, as it's already been 'baked'.

What's the make and model of the psu that led to this in the first place?

Last edited:
GPU is definitely dead and should not be powered on in its current state. There is a chance for repair, but unlikely. Baking it won't help.

Are you ever going to say what the PSU is? It is almost always a PSU issue in these cases.

Do you have any liquid coolers in this system? Are they leaking?

DarkwingMkII

Honorable
Feb 28, 2014
I would say you've completely f**king smashed your GPU, the burnt silver pieces were probably the tiny spikes you see lining the circuit board, you need to be running your computer under some pretty heavy stress completely unoblivious, to manage stuff physically breaking away from the components like that. Id say youre up for a new GPU, and potentially a PSU as well. Did you have a surge protected power board?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I would say you've completely f**king smashed your GPU, the burnt silver pieces were probably the tiny spikes you see lining the circuit board, you need to be running your computer under some pretty heavy stress completely unoblivious, to manage stuff physically breaking away from the components like that. Id say youre up for a new GPU, and potentially a PSU as well. Did you have a surge protected power board?
You don't need to 'stress' the gpu to damage it, a crap psu, if you push it hard enough, does it just as easily.
Granted, it can happen to quality power supplies too, but it's far less likely, and they usually have a darn good warranty on them anyways.

This is why people who come on here are asked time and time again about the power supplies in their PCs... to help them avoid stuff like this, advise them to 'go the extra mile' on a quality unit, and possibly save them hundreds, thousands - or however much was spent.
I'd rather see someone go overkill(1000w 80+platinum, for example) on a power supply than cheap out on one, for the reason that they could have the extra cash to get a stronger gpu/cpu. The latter is doing it backwards.

DarkwingMkII

Honorable
Feb 28, 2014
You don't need to 'stress' the gpu to damage it, a crap psu, if you push it hard enough, does it just as easily.
Granted, it can happen to quality power supplies too, but it's far less likely, and they usually have a darn good warranty on them anyways.

This is why people who come on here are asked time and time again about the power supplies in their PCs... to help them avoid stuff like this, advise them to 'go the extra mile' on a quality unit, and possibly save them hundreds, thousands - or however much was spent.
I'd rather see someone go overkill(1000w 80+platinum, for example) on a power supply than cheap out on one, for the reason that they could have the extra cash to get a stronger gpu/cpu. The latter is doing it backwards.

I agree of course, I've had pretty bad computer components throughout my life and I've seen many a burnt out GPU, but parts actually managing to disconnect from the board? Nup. The only time i saw that, I was playing Terraria in the middle of a storm, and lightning struck and fried my computer completely. Even the fan somehow fired off. That's why i was asking if he used a surge protected board I'm thinking there may be more to this than appears

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I agree of course, I've had pretty bad computer components throughout my life and I've seen many a burnt out GPU, but parts actually managing to disconnect from the board? Nup. The only time i saw that, I was playing Terraria in the middle of a storm, and lightning struck and fried my computer completely. Even the fan somehow fired off. That's why i was asking if he used a surge protected board I'm thinking there may be more to this than appears
Going by the OP's initial post, things went downhill when the screen first went white on them while gaming, and they performed the forced shut down. Then it started burning/melting after they started the PC back up and tried to play their game again.
It should not have been powered back on.

About those surge protectors: they're nothing more than power strips if one does not have a dedicated ground wire. < Like that, one power surge will completely wipe whatever protection the unit came with. After that...

Going by the OP's initial post, things went downhill when the screen first went white on them while gaming, and they performed the forced shut down. Then it started burning/melting after they started the PC back up and tried to play their game again.

About those surge protectors: they're nothing more than power strips if one does not have a dedicated ground wire. < Like that, one power surge will completely wipe whatever protection the unit came with. After that...
Get a Triplite ISObar and you won't have any surges damage your computer. If the computer does get damaged somehow they insure up to 50k dollars on the one I got.
https://www.newegg.com/tripp-lite-i...m_re=tripp-lite_isobar-_-12-120-523-_-Product

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Get a Triplite ISObar and you won't have any surges damage your computer. If the computer does get damaged somehow they insure up to 50k dollars on the one I got.
https://www.newegg.com/tripp-lite-isobar8ultra-8-outlets-nema-5-15r/p/N82E16812120523?Description=tripp-lite isobar&cm_re=tripp-lite_isobar--12-120-523--Product
I had that exact model. Served me well... but I didn't keep track of when the protection(indicated by an LED) expired... so one time by chance, I happen to notice the LED was out a couple months ago.
I had it for 4 years, but it probably didn't last quite that long(my fault for not keeping track). I've since replaced it with a UPS.

It's a good unit, but the argument about not having a dedicated ground still stands. Any surge protector loses effectiveness when the residence itself isn't properly protected.
What's a 3840 Joule SP in a groundless residence going to do against a 'bad luck' lightning strike at 1 - 10billion Joules? Jack all, that's what.
Of course, the surge after an actual blackout won't be nearly this high, but the SP won't last as long when it has do deal with the brunt of those power surges.
And many models have no way to tell when they've 'expired'... so how many people keep them past their expiration?

[Went off-topic there.]
A good SP will not fix a bad psu - assuming that's what the OP had.
I would like to see what the make and model was if they do reply back.

Sep 19, 2019
Bro dafuq u talking about I was installing graphic drivers when it just shutoff it didn’t even smell that burnt and

when I turned it back on though it was still quite and the gpu was only at 50 degrees i don’t even know how it happen

Sep 19, 2019
Bro dafuq u talking about I was installing graphic drivers when it just shutoff it didn’t even smell that burnt and

when I turned it back on though it was still quite and the gpu was only at 50 degrees i don’t even know how it happen
It had something to do with installing the nvidia drivers though I think