Question PC shut down for a few minutes, is this why?

Blackink

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014
609
40
19,190
67
I was vacuuming the floor the other day and decided to put the brush attachment on the end of the vacuum hose and vacuum the front of my computer case where there was a small build up of dust. There are 2 fans right behind the front of that PC case. My computer was on with 2 monitors and some software running.
I only vacuumed that case front for a few seconds. When I was done vacuuming, I noticed the computer was shut off. I know I didn't hit the power button during the dust removal and even tried to re-start the PC by pushing the power button.....nothing. I then checked the power plug going into the back of the PC for 110VAC and had power. Plugged the PC back in and tried starting the computer and still nothing.
I thought for sure I either shorted something out or maybe worse during the vacuuming of the screen on the front.

I unhooked everything, took the sides off the PC because I was going to remove the CMOS battery thinking that might do something. After the sides were removed from the case and before I removed the CMOS battery, I decided to double check to see if the PC would start up on it's own. I plugged it in and it started right up!!

I decided to look at the user manual for the power supply, an EVGA G2 750 Watt 80+ Gold certified fully modular to see if it had some built in circuit breakers or something similar. This is what I found that might be relevant to what happened but I'd like some input from someone that may know more about this than I do:

Top Quality Protections
The Gold series comes equipped with the most comprehensive protection set possible, including Over Voltage Protection (OVP), Under Voltage Protection (UVP), Over Power Protection (OPP), Short Circuit Protection (SCP), Over Current Protection (OCP). This product is also covered by an exceptional 10-Year Warranty.


Do you think one of those protections kicked in and then after, what seemed like 10 minutes (before I tried to turn it back on again after unplugging everything), re-set itself so it would turn back on??

Appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
Thanks,
Steve
 

Blackink

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014
609
40
19,190
67
If the humidity is low where you are, it is possible that the brush developed a static electricity charge which momentarily affected your computer.
I can't be certain of low humidity though. So do you think, if it was a static electricity charge, that one of those power supply protections kicked in??

I'll tell you what, I thought something had bought the farm when it wouldn't start back up so I was some relieved when it did come back on.....WHEW! lololol...
 

dwd999

Honorable
I can't be certain of low humidity though. So do you think, if it was a static electricity charge, that one of those power supply protections kicked in??

I'll tell you what, I thought something had bought the farm when it wouldn't start back up so I was some relieved when it did come back on.....WHEW! lololol...
Another possibility would be that the vacuum sucking all of the air in the case out the front interfered with the power supply's ability to cool itself and it momentarily overheated so it shut itself off. Either way, that type of vacuuming should be avoided. A smaller, lower suction vacuum with just enough suction to remove the dust and with a brush certified not to cause static would be advisable.
 

Blackink

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014
609
40
19,190
67
Another possibility would be that the vacuum sucking all of the air in the case out the front interfered with the power supply's ability to cool itself and it momentarily overheated so it shut itself off. Either way, that type of vacuuming should be avoided. A smaller, lower suction vacuum with just enough suction to remove the dust and with a brush certified not to cause static would be advisable.
Let me put it this way.....I learned my lesson!! If the PC needs cleaning, even if I think just a quick swipe with the attachment brush is all it needs, will be done when the computer is OFF!
 
Last edited:
Reactions: dwd999

ASK THE COMMUNITY