[SOLVED] PC shut down in middle of game, won't turn on with GPU plugged

Sep 16, 2019
Hello guys, last night I was playing Kingdom Come when suddenly PC shut down itself. After that it wouldn't power on, I can power it on only when I unplug PCI-E cables from GPU. PC and all components are brand new, bought it 7 days ago. I've sent it on repair because it's under warranty, but just wanna know what's cause of this.

Here are specs:
RYZEN 5 2600
XFX 580 8 GB
AORUS ELITE B450
16GB RAM HYPERX
PSU - RIOTORO 500W

It worked for six days without problems in gaming and out until last night. Could PSU be problem, maybe it doesn't have enough power?

Solution
Not a bad PSU - not the best as it's still budget line, but a decent budget one from my understanding.
Being as it is new, I'd be tempted to RMA the PSU.

It could well be the PSU or the GPU - so the only way of identifying which is by testing said component in another system, or better testing another working component in your system (if you tested GPU you'd have to make sure it's about the same to replicate the power draw).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What exact model Riotoro PSU is it?
The question isn't power, it's quality. 500W should be enough, if it is good quality.

Did you monitor GPU/CPU temperatures prior to the shutdown?
Do you have another GPU to test?

Sep 16, 2019
Riotoro Builder Edition 500W

I've checked temps yesterday when I was playing AC Origins, it was aproximetly 75°C GPU temp and CPU somewhere near 65°C

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not a bad PSU - not the best as it's still budget line, but a decent budget one from my understanding.

It could well be the PSU or the GPU - so the only way of identifying which is by testing said component in another system, or better testing another working component in your system (if you tested GPU you'd have to make sure it's about the same to replicate the power draw).

Solution
Sep 16, 2019

I've sent it to a shop where I bought it, so they can replace what needs to be replaced, but I would like to know what could have caused this problem as all components were brand new?

So I can pay attention that it doesn't repeat itself.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've sent it to a shop where I bought it, so they can replace what needs to be replaced, but I would like to know what could have caused this problem as all components were brand new?
Could be anything.

Typically these kind of circumstances it is often the PSU, especially in more budget models, like the Riotoro builder. Sometimes it can have hyper sensitive protections in place, or it can simply be defective on arrival, it just needs some stress before the defect appears. It's why typically many of us on the forums always recommend the PSU to be the last thing to go budget on.

Equally the GPU could be DOA, but it needed to be used for the defect to appear.

Sep 16, 2019
Could be anything.

Typically these kind of circumstances it is often the PSU, especially in more budget models, like the Riotoro builder. Sometimes it can have hyper sensitive protections in place, or it can simply be defective on arrival, it just needs some stress before the defect appears. It's why typically many of us on the forums always recommend the PSU to be the last thing to go budget on.

Equally the GPU could be DOA, but it needed to be used for the defect to appear.

Thank you for info. I'll notice you tomorrow about updates, so others can benefit too.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Riotoro Onyx is a decent PSU from my understanding yes.
There are plenty of decent PSUs. However all I would say is Riotoro offer poor warranty in comparison to others of the same bracket.

The Onyx has a 3 year warranty.
A Corsair TX has 7 years.
Corsair RM has 10 years
Seasonic FOCUS Plus has 10 years
Corsair CX has 5 years etc.

Sep 16, 2019
Hey guys, they informed me that GPU is dead and they replaced it with brand new. Just wanna know is there a clue what could have caused GPU to die, so that case doesn't repeat again. Could it be temperatures or something else?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hey guys, they informed me that GPU is dead and they replaced it with brand new. Just wanna know is there a clue what could have caused GPU to die, so that case doesn't repeat again. Could it be temperatures or something else?
Defects on arrival, PSU causing damage to it, improper handling etc.
Can be a huge multitude of defects or problems, no real way of telling.