[SOLVED] PC shut down while playing games

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Ever since I bought my new gpu (rx 580) and PSU my computer has been shutting down randomly during my gaming sessions (CSGO).
Actually the PC doesn't "shut down", the monitors turn black, music turns off so I assume all the programs running turn off too, but the pc is still running.
The restart button doesn't work so I have to turn it off by holding down the power button (restart button usually works FYI).
The next time I turn it on, the gpu fans go full speed for like 2 minutes even though the temperature is like 50 degrees which makes no sence then they turn of (rx 580 fans only spin when the temperature is over 50 degrees), and I get a notification on radeon software saying "Default Radeon WattMan settings gave been restored due to an unexpected system failure."
GPU and PSU have been in my pc for a month now.
I haven't touched anything in the radeon software settings that could cause this problem.

PSU: Seasonic GM 650
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190929151523.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 580 Series
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (84 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H110M-K D3, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 151260935801021
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Solution
You can use coretemp to monitor cpu temperatures.

If your coolermaster hyper 412r, is installed properly, then there should be no problems with cpu temperature. But you have to check regardless.

And - how exactly MSI afterburner is not working?
It's working now, just had to uncheck 'enable low-level IO driver' in settings.
It's the same temperature on afterburner.
The cooler is installed properly.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
What make/model Radeon RX 580 ? Do you have PCIE power connected to the graphics card? 1 or 2 PCIE power connectors?
Is the graphics card new or used?
Is the PSU new or used?
Model is Radeon rx 580 8gb sapphire nitro+.
One PCIE cable goes into the gpu that splits into 8pin and 6pin, from the psu.
GPU and PSU are new.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Anyway - looks like everything is connected properly.

Check cpu and gpu temperatures during gaming session. Use MSI afterburner.
Afterburner doesn't work on my computer idk why, however I did use radeon software to monitor the temperature of the gpu.
It was 69-75 degrees, and it shut down again at 72 degrees, however this time the gpu fans did not go full speed when I restarted the pc, which is weird (this did happen once before though). I doubt the cpu temperature was high considering I use a coolermaster hyper 412r.

If your coolermaster hyper 412r, is installed properly, then there should be no problems with cpu temperature. But you have to check regardless.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018

It's working now, just had to uncheck 'enable low-level IO driver' in settings.
It's the same temperature on afterburner.
The cooler is installed properly.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS