Question PC shut off all of a sudden and will not boot when GPU is installed.

Sep 2, 2021
Last night I was playing some games and all of a sudden my PC just shut off. I did a lot of trouble shoots (tested the PSU which works fine, reseated the ram, and took out the gpu) and came to the conclusion that my GPU may be dead or my PSU cannot deliver enough power to my GPU. Everything works perfectly fine without the GPU and as soon as the GPU is installed, nothing will turn on including the fans, lights etc. The motherboard however has the power indicator light on. PSU works fine as I tried the paper clip method and the fans were spinning. Anyone have any idea what may be the issue here? As of now I am not able to test the GPU in a different system nor will I be able to find a more powerful PSU to test and see if it’s an issue with my current psu.

Thanks for the help!

Here are my specs

I7-4770K
Corsair TX 550m
R9 280 Windforce
16 GB 1600 ram.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? Using the paperclip method, doesn't point to anything other than the PSU can power up, the test is a failed method since it doesn't indicate how much power the unit can effectively output. The way you've described it, if the system powers up without the discrete GPU, then the likely culprit is that the PSU can't deliver the power needed by the entire system with the discrete in place.

You could take the GPU over to a friend or neighbors house and see if the GPU works there, provided the donor system has a PSU that has at least 650W of power for the entire system, delivered by a reliably built PSU.

Sep 2, 2021

How old is the PSU in your build? Using the paperclip method, doesn't point to anything other than the PSU can power up, the test is a failed method since it doesn't indicate how much power the unit can effectively output. The way you've described it, if the system powers up without the discrete GPU, then the likely culprit is that the PSU can't deliver the power needed by the entire system with the discrete in place.

You could take the GPU over to a friend or neighbors house and see if the GPU works there, provided the donor system has a PSU that has at least 650W of power for the entire system, delivered by a reliably built PSU.
Thanks for the help!
The PSU is around 2 years old and has been working fine until now. Let me see if I can find a way to test the GPU. If the GPU is dead, I’m assuming the PC would still boot up since no power is being delivered to the GPU anyways?

Sep 2, 2021

Hi so I did more testing with the gpu, do the fans on dead gpus usually still spin up? I shorted my PSU and plugged my GPU in with no motherboard, cpu, etc and it still did not power on. However, when the 8 pin connector is connected, it will not turn on but when the 6 pin is connected, it will turn on. The GPU fans still however do not spin up. Any thoughts on this?