Question PC Shut off and won't turn back on. All parts are brand new out of box. If I unplug the GPU from the PSU the computer will turn on like normal

Jun 14, 2019
I recently purchased all the components to build my first gaming PC. After getting everything hooked up I turned on the PC and it worked like a charm. For two hours I played video games, downloaded things and was able to use the PC. Then randomly in the middle of me using it, it shut off. The PC would no longer turn on when I pressed the power button.

I immediately thought that there may be an issue with my PSU. I unplugged all cords and plugged them in again, still nothing. Finally, after tinkering for a while I noticed if I unplugged my Graphics Card from the PSU the PC would turn on (all fans began running and LEDS turned on). When I plugged in the GPU to the PSU the system immediately shutdown again.

These parts are all brand new so I am looking for help diagnosing whether this is a Graphics Card, Power Supply, Motherboard, etc... issue. I am brand new to PC building so I may need a very simple explanation if possible.

Thank You!

Edit:

Just realized that I didn't include the specs of the build, which are probably necessary to help diagnose.

CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 2600 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
Motherboard: Asus B540 AMD Ryzen 2
Power Supply: EVGA 600BQ Bronze 600w
Graphics Card: MSI VGA Graphix Cards RX 580 Armor
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 8GB
Storage: Seagate Barracude 1TB Hardrive and ADATA SU800 SSD 128GB

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019
So you plugged the PCIe cable into the GPU with the system still on?
Initially the PC was up and running, then it randomly shut off. Through random chance I tried powering on the PC without the VGA Cable connected from the GPU to the PSU and it all turned on. Then I powered off, plugged in the GPU and it would not turn on.

hese parts are all brand new so I am looking for help diagnosing whether this is a Graphics Card, Power Supply, Motherboard, etc... issue.

It could be related to any of those, but I doubt the PSU. Try to reset/clear all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, and then insert the GPU on your PC, and check whether the PC turns ON or not ? Plug the PCi-e connector to the GPU as well. When using the GPU, do you get the BIOS POST screen, or the display is totally black ?

Is your PSU also brand new ?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019
It could be related to any of those. Try to reset/clear all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, and then insert the GPU on your PC, and check whether the PC turns ON or not ? Plug the PCi-e connector to the GPU as well. When using the GPU, do you get the BIOS POST screen, or the display is totally black ?

If I plug in my GPU to the PSU I get a black screen and the power will not turn on. If I unplug the GPU from the PSU all the components turn on, but because my Graphics Card is not plugged in, I can not see anything on the monitor.

EDIT: Yes the PSU is brand new. All parts are fresh out of the box. They arrived to my house yesterday and I opened and built the PC right then.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019
Could be the PSU or the GPU.

The PSU really isn't all that great.

At this point I would say it was the PSU though since everything was working fine and then just stopped.

Looks like the PSU can't take the added power draw from the GPU on startup.
Okay. Thank you very much for your help. I am going to try a
CORSAIR - CX-M Series 650W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply this evening and see if it works. Do you think this PSU is large enough or do I need more wattage?

Okay. Thank you very much for your help. I am going to try a
CORSAIR - CX-M Series 650W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply this evening and see if it works. Do you think this PSU is large enough or do I need more wattage?

I wouldn't get that one, not all that great either.

Here are some good PSU's to choose from.

Seasonic Focus Plus
Corsair RMX
EVGA G2

Reactions: usc9
Jun 14, 2019
650 watts is OK but like jankerson said, you need a quality PSU. Do you have another GPU you can test with? I need to get a better PSU myself, been running a Corsair CX750M for about 2 years.
I don't have any spare equipment as this is my first build. The GPU is significantly more pricey than my PSU so I figured replacing the PSU first is the most cost effective route. I am going to pick a Corsair RMX from my local Best Buy and try it out tonight . I will update to let you all know if it worked.

Thank you EVERYONE for your help.
  1. Your response time was impeccable.
  2. You all kept things simple for me.

I honestly can't thank you all enough.

Jun 14, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I replaced the PSU today with the recommended Corsair RMX 850w. Nothing changed. I then went and replaced my current GPU. This allowed my CPU to boot up like normal and take me to the BIOS screen. Now it seems I have a new issue.

The new issue is that my SATA Hardrive is no longer being detected in the BIOS screen. I plugged in my USB that I previously used to install Windows 10 OS and it registered, however the SATA Hardrive would not show up. I have a Seagate 1TB HDD and a ASUS 128GB SSD. Neither show up when I plug them in. I tried rechecking connection, used different cords, and have not had any success. Are there any suggestions? I am really not sure what else to do at this point other than replace HDD/SSD or replace Motherboard (both would not be ideal).

Hi Everyone,

I replaced the PSU today with the recommended Corsair RMX 850w. Nothing changed. I then went and replaced my current GPU. This allowed my CPU to boot up like normal and take me to the BIOS screen. Now it seems I have a new issue.

The new issue is that my SATA Hardrive is no longer being detected in the BIOS screen. I plugged in my USB that I previously used to install Windows 10 OS and it registered, however the SATA Hardrive would not show up. I have a Seagate 1TB HDD and a ASUS 128GB SSD. Neither show up when I plug them in. I tried rechecking connection, used different cords, and have not had any success. Are there any suggestions? I am really not sure what else to do at this point other than replace HDD/SSD or replace Motherboard (both would not be ideal).

Well, try resetting the bios, a full reset by using the jumper on the MB or removing the battery for a min or so.

Just make sure to unplug the PSU when you do it.

Any advice on how to reset the BIOS?

The easiest way to clear the CMOS is to enter the BIOS setup utility and choose Reset BIOS Settings to their factory default levels.

The exact menu option in your particular motherboard's BIOS may differ but look for phrases like reset to default, factory default, clear BIOS, load setup defaults, etc. Every manufacturer seems to have their own way of wording it. The BIOS Settings option is usually located near the bottom of the screen, or at the end of your BIOS options, depending on how it's structured. If you're having trouble finding it, look close to where the Save or Save & Exit options are because they're usually around those.

Another way to clear CMOS is to reseat the CMOS battery. Start by making sure your computer is unplugged. Next, open up your computer's case if you're using a desktop PC, or find and open the small CMOS battery panel if you're using a tablet or laptop computer.

Finally, remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then put it back in. Close the case or battery panel and then plug in, or reattach the computer's main battery. By disconnecting and then reconnecting the CMOS battery, you remove the source of power that saves your computer's BIOS settings, resetting them to default.

Another way to clear the CMOS is to short the CLEAR CMOS jumper on your motherboard, assuming your motherboard has one. Make sure your computer is unplugged and then open it up. Look around your motherboard's surface for a jumper with the CLEAR CMOS label, which will be located on the motherboard and near the jumper. These jumpers are often located near the BIOS chip itself or next to the CMOS battery. Some other names by which you might see this jumper labeled include CLRPWD, PASSWORD, or even just CLEAR.

Do all these things VERY carefully, if you are not comfortable, then ask someone else for help, if need be.