Question Pc shutdown and reboot problem

Aug 5, 2020
I have bought a computer from my friend. He had no problems with it for many years. I downgraded from windows 10 to 8.1, wiping everything clean. After 4 days of use the pc turned off without a warning and rebooted. After 3hours the pc did the same thing. And this keeps happening every 1 or 2 days.

I have tested everything. Power supply cord, memory, cpu,hard drives, all temperatures.I did all kinds of stress tests and the pc is running fine. Everything is working perfectly, but it shuts down randomly and i dont have a clue why. The last thing i can do is test the voltage with a multimeter, but i dont have one.

Before i started using the pc i installed a bracket to mount the cpu fan, because my friend didn't have the time to do so. That is it, i didn't touch anything else. If i didn't connect a cable properly the computer probably woulnt be running fine.

I am out of options, maybe this forum would help.

Aug 5, 2020
your friend use the pc without cpu fan?

full system spec? include make and model of the psu
windows 8 up to date? where did you get the installation media?

The old cpu fan was dusty and had broken clips from taking it off and putting in again. He bought a new cpu cooler and put the pc on its side (he used it like this for like a month before i bought it). He thought that he needed to drill holes in the case to mount the cpu bracket. I lifted the motherboard and mounted the cpu bracket without any issue , or so i think.

I got the installation media from microsoft's website. Used rufus to create a bootable windows instalation usb stick. Never had problems with it. I used to reinstall windows once every 6 or so months, because my laptop only had 120gb of ssd storage. Ii am using a program kmspico to activate my windows, but i dont think its the issue. (i am willing to try installing windows 10, because its free now). I always chose windows 8.1, because windows 10 is so different for me and its complicated to do simple tasks, but there will be a time when i'll have to move on.

I turned off windows update, when i installed windows.

I updated my drivers with driver booster. Used Nvidia drivers for the gpu.

The psu is an old switching power supply sl-500a. It costs 30euros brand new.
Gpu: Geforce GT1030
Cpu: i5 K655 (3.2GHz)
Ram: 8Gb.
Storage: I have a main 120gb ssd for windows and a 1Tb hard drive. (Tested both, they are working fine)

Aug 5, 2020
kmspico is malware. do a fresh windows 10 install

Well, i updated my windows 8.1 fully. I wont rush updating it to windows 10 yet. If it shuts down again, then i will.

In even viewer the shutdown is specified as a critical error:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source - Kernel-Power
Event Id- 41
level - Critical.