[SOLVED] PC shutdown and reboot whenever I enter any game :'(

Mar 23, 2020
Hey everyone,

I've had this problem for a while now and has meant I haven't been able to game with my PC for about 6 months meaning I had it stored for that time, but now I am coming back it with some renewed vigour to work out what's going on and get it fixed.

The problem: on idle and running general tasks the PC works smoothly but whenever I open a game and then actually load into a session, for example start a battle in Total War: Rome II or drop into a bot session in Dota 2, the PC will completely shutdown and then reboot.

My setup:
Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350 Tomahawk
Asus Strix GeForce GTX 970
EVGA G3 550 W PSU
8 (2x4 GB) Corsair RAM
Corsair CT275 SSD

I get a log in the event viewer of Event 41 (63) Kernel Power Critical Error
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

This seems to occur in whatever game I open but not when I have stress tested the GPU through Unigine Superposition to 100% utilisation.

Temps seem stable all the way through the crashes staying below 70 degrees. I have updated drivers, BIOS, Windows (and clean installed it) and still the issue persists

I am starting to suspect the PSU may be at fault but I'm not sure, if anyone can offer some guidance to diagnosing this issue it would be really appreciated!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Solution
Solution
Mar 25, 2020
I have the same problem and its infuriating.

I see LOTS of people complaining about their Ryzen system freezing/restarting usually while under heavy load (gaming) but sometimes just idle on desktop. Lots of talk about BIOS versions and instability with AMD's earlier Ryzen CPU's.

No one can identify a real solution other than going with Intel or upgrading to newest generation of AMD CPU. So many forum posts from many different websites all discussing which BIOS versions work, which ones don't, and many say AMD's earlier CPU's were just unstable. AMD themselves put out a press release a long time ago about their first-gen Ryzen's being unstable. I found it and read it literally 5 minutes ago.

Anyway, I hope someone helps me and you, this has been infuriating to deal with.