Question PC shutdown due to power-cut while gaming, will this damage my PC?

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
I have couple of questions regarding this since I recently experienced a power-cut while gaming, even though my UPS was plugged it, it simply didn't hold up the power enough to let my system to run like it usually does (I guess the time is up for this UPS, been using it for 3 years-ish, got new one)

But, UPS put out of the way, I was gaming when it happened, I put my hard-earned savings into this build and I do not want anything bad happening to it.

But I'm new to all these so I have some questions below that I need answers for, I've been reading articles and posts about it but some of them are a decade old and some did not fit into my criteria properly.

I have no HDDs in my build,
  • PNY XLR8 CS3030 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD (OS)
  • TeamGroup GX2 1TB SATA SSD (Games)
  • CV 550W Bronze 80+ Certified PSU
  • Rest of the build : R5 2600 + Pulse RX 5600 XT + TG Vulcan 16GB 3200 MHz
When power went off, I switched off the UPS. When power came back, I switched the UPS to the new one and turned on the PC and everything worked normally.

But these are my questions,
  1. What generally happens when the power goes while system is performing a task such as gaming?
  2. Since it is not shutting down properly, is there any component that will most likely be damaged other than an HDD?
  3. If computer is being turned on after the power-cut, what should I do first?
  4. I have a NVMe SSD (OS) and SATA SSD (Games), are these sensitive to outage same as HDDs?
IDK if I'm being too paranoid over this power-outage thing but for the past 2 years of struggling with old PC issues and weak specs, this year I managed to build a decent build and I do not want anything bad happening to it!

Thanks!

curley81

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
cutting the power shouldnt do any damage its when the power comes back on that you get a power surge which can damage your pc as long your PC was off at that time you will be fine. Ive had a power surge damage in the past its usually the PSU or motherboard that gets damaged and you would know straight away if it is

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply,

cutting the power shouldnt do any damage its when the power comes back on that you get a power surge which can damage your pc

Since it was completely off, I guess I'm in the safe side here.

But regardless, since UPS is there between wall outlet and the PC, even if PC is turned off, it will hit the UPS first before my PC right? So even in a surge situation I should be fine since UPS is there?