Question PC Shutdown in-game (different 650w PSUs but different behaviors)

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
Hi there,
Sorry for my bad english, The story of my PSU problem:

When I bought my PC everything was fine but after 6 months PC started to shut down once a week after many hours in high end game (Metro Exodus)
Gradually, The problem became bigger and shut downs became once a day until i couldn't play CS:GO for 1 minute in a resolution like 800x600 ! (Heaven Benchmark Test - shut down in 5min)
After visiting guarantee service in my country they worked on my PC and found out that my problem was PSU (Cooler Master MWE 650 gold non modular)
They gave me a cooler master 650w V2 gold full modular for test until my PSU come from RMA.
I could only play in 1920x1080 for like 2 hours but worked with no shut downs for a week in low resolution (1280x960) in CS:GO for many hours.
They called me for my RMA and I got a NEW Cooler Master MWE 650 gold non modular, BUT the problem was still there. (Heaven Benchmark Test - shut down in 15sec !!!!)
They gave me a cooler master mwe 700 bronze non modular (lack of options due to Iran Sanctions). It didn't shut down in heaven benchmark for 40 minutes. I took it and came home and when I pluged it, PC doesn't start, no power even in motherboard (know from Motherboard LED's) so I went there and took cooler master 650w V2 gold full modular because holidays was going to start for 15 days and I had to take it to work for the next 15 days and I'm working with it and it's working.
Just want to know your opinions about;
  1. Why PC shut down behavior Different in 650w PSUs (guarantee service said because of Ampere and voltage that PSU's are going to take for GPU)
  2. calculations on internet say my spec need like 500w + 100w other stuff is enough but some other say vega 56 take a lot elect
sooo, what do you think?
thanks for your time to read my story <3

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU : Radeon RX VEGA 56 GAMING OC 8GB
MOTHERBOARD : Asus TUF B450-PLUS GAMING
RAM : GeIL Super Lucier RGB SYNC (2x8GB | DDR4 3000Mhz)
SSD : XPG SX6000 Lite 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME
HDD : Hitachi Deskstar 500 GB 3.5" 7200RPM
CASE : Cooler Master CM 590 III ATX Mid Tower
+ keyboard - mouse - headphones - 144hz monitor

Hi there,
Sorry for my bad english, The story of my PSU problem:

When I bought my PC everything was fine but after 6 months PC started to shut down once a week after many hours in high end game (Metro Exodus)
Gradually, The problem became bigger and shut downs became once a day until i couldn't play CS:GO for 1 minute in a resolution like 800x600 ! (Heaven Benchmark Test - shut down in 5min)
After visiting guarantee service in my country they worked on my PC and found out that my problem was PSU (Cooler Master MWE 650 gold non modular)
They gave me a cooler master 650w V2 gold full modular for test until my PSU come from RMA.
I could only play in 1920x1080 for like 2 hours but worked with no shut downs for a week in low resolution (1280x960) in CS:GO for many hours.
They called me for my RMA and I got a NEW Cooler Master MWE 650 gold non modular, BUT the problem was still there. (Heaven Benchmark Test - shut down in 15sec !!!!)
They gave me a cooler master mwe 700 bronze non modular (lack of options due to Iran Sanctions). It didn't shut down in heaven benchmark for 40 minutes. I took it and came home and when I pluged it, PC doesn't start, no power even in motherboard (know from Motherboard LED's) so I went there and took cooler master 650w V2 gold full modular because holidays was going to start for 15 days and I had to take it to work for the next 15 days and I'm working with it and it's working.
Just want to know your opinions about;
  1. Why PC shut down behavior Different in 650w PSUs (guarantee service said because of Ampere and voltage that PSU's are going to take for GPU)
  2. calculations on internet say my spec need like 500w + 100w other stuff is enough but some other say vega 56 take a lot elect
sooo, what do you think?
thanks for your time to read my story <3

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU : Radeon RX VEGA 56 GAMING OC 8GB
MOTHERBOARD : Asus TUF B450-PLUS GAMING
RAM : GeIL Super Lucier RGB SYNC (2x8GB | DDR4 3000Mhz)
SSD : XPG SX6000 Lite 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME
HDD : Hitachi Deskstar 500 GB 3.5" 7200RPM
CASE : Cooler Master CM 590 III ATX Mid Tower
+ keyboard - mouse - headphones - 144hz monitor
I'm not an expert on Vega cards but I read it has a bios switch on the card that lowers the power by a small amount. Does yours have this switch? Have you tried switching it? Also, the card can spike for short periods close to 375 watts which could be tripping the protection on your PSU. If you have an OC version it may spike even higher than 375 watts. Have you checked the GPU temperature under load to see if that's the problem?
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-rx-vega-56,5202-21.html

fDZGWfCRwynjCxzLygi6LR-970-80.png

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
I'm not an expert on Vega cards but I read it has a bios switch on the card that lowers the power by a small amount. Does yours have this switch? Have you tried switching it? Also, the card can spike for short periods close to 375 watts which could be tripping the protection on your PSU. If you have an OC version it may spike even higher than 375 watts. Have you checked the GPU temperature under load to see if that's the problem?
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-rx-vega-56,5202-21.html

fDZGWfCRwynjCxzLygi6LR-970-80.png
There is no bios switch on card and It's OC version. GPU Temp are fine, on High load it's around 60C
do you believe 750watt is enough for my PC? considering details I've mentioned

There is no bios switch on card and It's OC version. GPU Temp are fine, on High load it's around 60C
do you believe 750watt is enough for my PC? considering details I've mentioned
Yes, 750W should be enough, but you need a higher quality power supply for such a demanding GPU. The lower end Cooler Master models are not very good. I don't know your location or what's available to you so it's hard to make a recommendation. Use the following link to a list that can help guide you to a better model. Stick to tier A for the best models but no lower than tier B.

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
Yes, 750W should be enough, but you need a higher quality power supply for such a demanding GPU. The lower end Cooler Master models are not very good. I don't know your location or what's available to you so it's hard to make a recommendation. Use the following link to a list that can help guide you to a better model. Stick to tier A for the best models but no lower than tier B.
Why same Watt powers have different behaviors? I mean
Cooler Master MWE 650 gold non modular
cooler master 650w V2 gold full modular (last longer than other one)

Last edited:
Why same Watt powers have different behaviors? I mean
Cooler Master MWE 650 gold non modular
cooler master 650w V2 gold full modular (last longer than other one)
The quality of parts the PSU is made from is why performance and reliability differes from model to model of the same output. The CM 650W V2 Gold should be ok for your system. Do you have power grid problems where you live? If so, how often? Are you using a UPS?

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
The quality of parts the PSU is made from is why performance and reliability differes from model to model of the same output. The CM 650W V2 Gold should be ok for your system. Do you have power grid problems where you live? If so, how often? Are you using a UPS?
no we don't have grid problems and I'm not using UPS, I believe the spikes from GPU make these shut downs and if PSU is too good it happen weaker.

TRENDING THREADS