Question PC shutdown problem when gaming ?

NEOCROM

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
When i usually play some games, multiplayer mostly, i experience instant shutdown then powering up again, almost like a restart. Did some search and some told it may be from power supply, or cpu temp. Checked my CPU temp for I5 and it looks normal according to some data on various sites. Now, if it's from power supply or maybe something else, how can i check to know specifically from where the problem can be?

OS = Windows 10

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU as well as it's make and model.

if it's from power supply or maybe something else, how can i check to know specifically from where the problem can be?
You borrow another unit that's reliably built and has more than enough power to drive the entire system. Using the paper clip method is moot, mind you.

Jan 12, 2023
When i usually play some games, multiplayer mostly, i experience instant shutdown then powering up again, almost like a restart. Did some search and some told it may be from power supply, or cpu temp. Checked my CPU temp for I5 and it looks normal according to some data on various sites. Now, if it's from power supply or maybe something else, how can i check to know specifically from where the problem can be?

OS = Windows 10
I had an issue after upgrading my RAM where not during gameplay but after an extended amount of time playing games the PC would just shut down and restart exactly as you said. I had 4 sticks of 16gb at 3600mhz. What fixed it was using two sticks and not enabling xmp, or reducing the speed, which seemed to do the trick..

NEOCROM

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
I had an issue after upgrading my RAM where not during gameplay but after an extended amount of time playing games the PC would just shut down and restart exactly as you said. I had 4 sticks of 16gb at 3600mhz. What fixed it was using two sticks and not enabling xmp, or reducing the speed, which seemed to do the trick..
I got only 2 sticks, dual, 8gb each. Can it be from RAMs? Also, my PSU is like over 2 years old, maybe it's because of that? After like how much time a PSU should be changed in order to avoid a possible situation for my PC to shutdown like this? Also, which are the common situations where PC shuts down like this?

Jan 12, 2023
I got only 2 sticks, dual, 8gb each. Can it be from RAMs? Also, my PSU is like over 2 years old, maybe it's because of that? After like how much time a PSU should be changed in order to avoid a possible situation for my PC to shutdown like this? Also, which are the common situations where PC shuts down like this?
I am in no way an expert, it might be the PSU but i am not sure. If it is a cheap offbrand psu then maybe. All I know is that when I had the issue limiting ram speed fixed it. My solution also could not be a solution to your issue.

You haven't posted your system specs as requested. Regardless of it's age, PSU may be poor quality. Hence the request for system specs.

Reactions: John Chesterfield

NEOCROM

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
You haven't posted your system specs as requested. Regardless of it's age, PSU may be poor quality. Hence the request for system specs.
CPU: I5 4690k
CPU cooler: Can't check it atm. I think it's the one you get it with the CPU.
Motherboard: AsRock Z97 Anniversary
Ram: 16G dual (8 each)
SSD/HDD: Kingston 250GB and 500GB
GPU: GTX 1070 8GB
PSU: Seasonic S12III-650, 80+ Bronze, 650W
Chassis: Zalman. Which exactly, forgot
Monitor: LG Led monitor

Maybe this info is enough? Seems the shutdown happens mostly when i play Guild Wars 2, for example, but even when playing Last of Us. Initially i thought it's cause of multiplayer games, but seems not. I played even more demanding MP games, yet i did not encountered such problem like in GW2. Still, playing LoU, very demanding game...and bad ported, also makes my PC shuts down if i play like 2 hours. Funny though that BF2042, demanding too, does not cause me such problem. It's kinda ironic and weird atm, making hard to determine which component is the troublemaker. Also, did monitoring the temp of motherboard 36-37 out of 38 when literally just browsing internet and not playing at all. Is this all right? As with the PSU, cooling fans if i read it correctly, 1099 out of 1180, average 1063.

DSzymborski

Titan
That's not a particular good PSU, not something I'd choose to use with a 70-level Nvidia card. I'd at least try to swap it out for something better (and some place with a good return policy if it's not the problem and you absolutely cannot afford a quality PSU if it doesn't solve this problem).

Unless you have a very high-end, niche PSU, there's no digital readout of anything in Windows.

The temperatures you need to look at are CPU and GPU temperatures. Sudden shutdowns are most commonly either temperatures or poor power delivery.

NEOCROM

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
That's not a particular good PSU, not something I'd choose to use with a 70-level Nvidia card. I'd at least try to swap it out for something better (and some place with a good return policy if it's not the problem and you absolutely cannot afford a quality PSU if it doesn't solve this problem).

Unless you have a very high-end, niche PSU, there's no digital readout of anything in Windows.

The temperatures you need to look at are CPU and GPU temperatures. Sudden shutdowns are most commonly either temperatures or poor power delivery.
Did a stress test with Aida64, like 3 mins. The CPU temp is like 76-77. GPU diode like 80, GPU hotspot like 91-92.

NEOCROM

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Tested with another PSU, all was fine. Tested with my PSU, shutdown after few mins. Bought a new one, tested for few hours in the games i've experienced this, no problem. Seems the old PSU was the problem. Probably being like over 2 years old, was pushed a bit too much sometimes, maybe even because it experienced some power surges in this time and was weakened.