Pc shutdown random

death12337

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Hi guys.

I'm assembling an old build together for a media PC. The parts have been laying in the basement in plastic bags and are recovered.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz
xfx 780i motherboard
8gb kingston DDR2 800MHz ram
Evga geforce 8800 GTX 768MB
Corsair TX 650W power supply
2x 300gb Hitachi Harddrives.

Windows is already pre-installed on the harddrive from an AMD build, however if it works, i don't mind it gets messy, even though I know that a reinstall of windows if recommended.

First time i pressed the power button, the pc boots up, gets into windows and starts installing my mouse driver, BOOM shuts down.

Second time it asks to press F1, i do, continues "starting windows" BOOM, shuts down.

Third time i wait at "press F1" .. BOOM shuts down...

Things I've tried;

1 Change Ram sticks
2. Change power supply
3. remove all excessive hardware, such as usb etc.
4.disconnect one or more harddrives..

All same results.. Heeeeelp i need somebody, heeeeelp not just anybody heeeelp.....

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
What OS are you using? OEM version below 8 are tied to the original mobo. Taking the HDD from an AMD build will have the info for that board instead of your current one and can lead to a ton of different errors because of compatibility. It is looking for drivers for components that are no longer installed and it hangs or kicks you out. That is why a fresh install on a new board is so important.

death12337

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
It's windows 7 64-bit. How is windows the problem of shutting down the PC in Bios???? That doesn't even make sense.
It didn't even boot to windows with corsair 650W
using the new 500w powersupply it did it once, then stops near bios.

harddrives disconnected is still the same result.

death12337

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

Can't even get into bios before it shuts down. I've tried this with a previous motherboard before.
It's really weird.. I think the motherboard is dying somehow :/ But the temps are really safe. I'm sure that's not the problem.
I´ll try to check the cpu temp in a bit. If it can boot to bios.

EDIT: OOOKAY WTF! CPU TEMP MASSIVELY OVERHEATING... Guess that fan didn't go in as planned?? :eek:.. 113+C and rising... WTF!!! :eek: Remount and repaste incoming. I even spent 60$ on a new powersupply too :/