PC Shutdown/Startup issue

Sankea

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
For the last six months I have had an issue with my Shutdown/Startup.

Issue:
From a Shutdown when you go to startup the fans will spin + lights from everything that has led's will go on but no boot at all. The way I have been resolving this was to flip the power switch off until the MB lost power then it turns on like a charm.
When:
I actually cant pin-point a specific time tbh. I Haven't done any BIOS setting or App tweaks in years. During a switch to a new case I did mess with the front IO connectors and found that if I had the speaker plugged in it would boot fine (very random but it worked) until that stopped doing the trick. I have cycled through hardware (other then the MB which is an Asus Z270H Gaming).
Solutions
I have read a few different cases of similar issues and it seems like it could be a range of different things. PSU is brand new so rule that out. BIOS has been flashed. Everything has made a transfer to a new case. My guess is it is something with my MB. From what I had combed over it seems like this isn't that uncommon thought Asus MB's.
I will add this as it may be linked. I have gone through 2 H100i v2's in the past year. What happens is the tubing that connects to the CPU block literally cracks from the inside and pops out. One with a BRAND new H100i v2. I have since went to an air cooler.

Thanks for any help.

Sankea

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Fractal Design Define R6
Asus Z270 Gaming
i7 7700k
Noctua NH-D15 + 7 Corsair ML 140 Pro fans with Corsair Commander Pro controller
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz 2x8
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
EVGA SuperNova 850W P2 80+ Plat
Windows 10

Reason I ruled out the PSU is because I had the same issue with the older Thermaltake PSU I had in the system. With it being old I had a hunch that was the problem.
Over the past month I upgraded Case, PSU, CPU cooler, and fans with the controller. I have also swapped in and out different memory and GPU to test but problem still continues with any combo.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
While most symptoms point towards bad MoBo, it's contradicted with the flipping of PSU switch on which point the system works fine. Also, while your EVGA Supernova P2 850 is great quality PSU, made by Super Flower and it's using it's Leadex Platinum platform, there are lemons, even among the best.

If the MoBo would be bad, you wouldn't get it running no matter what you do. You'd still have no signal on monitor on startup. But since you do get your PC running by flipping PSU switch, it points towards PSU's power delivery issues.

Here's what i'd do:
1st, i'd replace PSU with Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 80+ Titanium (pcpp) (since it's the best 650W unit money can buy at current date). Since swapping out PSUs and power cables is far easier than ripping entire system apart to replace the MoBo.
Also, if the issue remains and you'll still end up replacing MoBo, Seasonic unit would be upgrade to your EVGA unit in terms of best efficiency there is and PSU's wattage would also be better suited for your PC. GTX 1080 is 180W GPU, add the rest of the system at 200W or so and you're looking 380W of max power consumption for your PC. Making 650W PSU more than enough for your PC while your current 850W unit is overkill.

Though, if you 1st replace your MoBo and you still get same issues then you'd still be looking towards new PSU. Though, do note that if your PSU is defective, it can ruin your new MoBo as well. While when you 1st replace the PSU (which i'd do), defective MoBo can't ruin your new PSU.

At this point it's a tough call. I don't want to give you advice where you end up replacing both, PSU and MoBo. In that regard, i'll look if i can get someone else to join the topic and help out in this complex and contradicted matter.

Sankea

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks for the response. Been on vacation so busy few weeks.
I cant get into the Bios.
If I do a system restart from windows it will boot fine. Only time it will do it is if I completely shutdown and then attempt to start-up again. I haven't had a chance to mess with the front IO connectors again but I will today when I have some time. They are currently set up how the manual states but I am going to pull out the magnifying glasses and double check each pin on the board.
I will double check the MB error code as well but from what I remember the code was normal.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

How did you flash if you can't get into the bios? There are also more versions of the motherboards with the "Asus Z270 Gaming" in it,so which one exactly?
Tried to start the motherboard using a screwdriver? See if the on button does it work well on the case itself.Can on the motherboard frontpanel connectors arrange to use the reset button as start button just to see if that works.

Sankea

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013

Its the Z270H Gaming. As I said before the computer will start just fine and work like normal if I turn the PSU off by either the switch or unplugging it until the MB loses power. I just switch it back on or plug it back in and the PC starts like normal. Problem is if I turn the PC off and then attempt to turn the PC back on it wont fully boot. Seems like everything runs (fans including the GPU and lights) but I do not get any activity after that. Nothing on the screens and it seems like the PC is just in almost a sleep state.
Just typing sleep state reminded me when I started having this issue. I USED to have the computer set to go into sleep mode and it wouldn't fully comeback sometimes so I turned the feature off. Believe that is when I started having the problems after a failed wake-up from a sleep.

Messed with the front IO connectors and they are indeed in correctly. I actually have tried starting the MB with the screwdriver and same thing happens. Wont fully boot unless I cut power for 10 seconds or so for the MB lights to go dark.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think it's the psu. Think it has to do with the motherboard,probably bios,like it gets corrupted and can't find bootdrive in between boots. Like the power off resets it.
Some easy things to check/do,replace the motherboard battery,after that reset the bios to "optimal default values", and make sure to check time and date in the bios.
Farfetched,but try a different sata cable for the bootdrive.Make sure after the reset to optimal default values that it is set to first boot.
Tried another sata port btw? Maybe worth a shot.Assuming you don't use M.2.

Sankea

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013