Question PC Shutdown when gaming - PSU or other

Jan 6, 2021
Hey all, I've had my PC shutdown after playing games, can happen between 10 mins to 1 hour. When it shuts down it clicks, tries for about 0.2 sec to turn back on but clicks again and shuts off. The only way for it to turn back on is if I turn the PSU off and on again. Tried other house outlets and still happens. I have a HWinfo log of when it happened, I can't notice anything unusual. Temps are fine (CPU max like 60C GPU max like 72C). In the last 4 minutes of the log my RAM usage does spike up a little, don't know why but I'm not sure if this is relevant to the problem. (Goes from 8gb physical used to 12.2gb used within 10 seconds) I don't recall anything changing in the game. This is my first post so not sure if I can attach the excel document.
Let me know if I can provide anything that can help with the diagnosis. Cheers.

CPU - i5 8600K
Cooler - H100i
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1080
MB - Asus Prime Z370-A
RAM - 16GB DDR4 Hyper X Fury
PSU is Cooler Master V650 Semi Modular (Probably 4 years old?)
SSD - Assortment of 3...

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the PSU is 4 years old, then that's where I'd start looking. Source a donor PSU and see if your system has anymore hiccups. You will also need to include the specs to your entire system so we can understand if you're on the right wattage for your build.

Jan 6, 2021
Also check ram with memtest86 please
After waiting an unexpected 2.5 hours memtest finished with no errors (haha :D)

Not sure where I can source a power supply to swap in and check without outright buying one. Anyone have any other ideas? May have to just grin and hope that a new one will fix it at this point.