PC shutdown

Joe

Hello there, My PC shutsdown EVERYTIME when I do the following; defragment,
virus scan, play games, or even when I try to install SP2 update. It doesn't
happen when I do work on Office programs or surf the net. PC does not reboot
by itself. I do manual reboot but it does not do a scan disk which normally
happens when it shutsdown for unknown reasons. I've done checks to see if i'm
bugged. So far no sign of it or maybe I don't know. Pls. HELP!

Joe

Malke

Joe wrote:

> Hello there, My PC shutsdown EVERYTIME when I do the following;
> defragment, virus scan, play games, or even when I try to install SP2
> update. It doesn't
> happen when I do work on Office programs or surf the net. PC does not
> reboot by itself. I do manual reboot but it does not do a scan disk
> which normally happens when it shutsdown for unknown reasons. I've
> done checks to see if i'm bugged. So far no sign of it or maybe I
> don't know. Pls. HELP!
>
> Joe

It's quite possible that you have some hardware failures since the
problem occurs whenever you are doing some really heavy work with the
machine. Here are some general hardware troubleshooting steps to go
through:

1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org - let the test
run for an extended (like overnight) period of time - unless errors are
seen immediately.

3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr.

4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
you have in the system - this isn't applicable to a laptop, of course.

5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
www.tufftest.com.

Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a good local
computer repair shop (not a CompUSA or Best Buy type of store).

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers