[SOLVED] pc shutdown

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
i just got a used gtx 970 i installed it, the pc worked fine and goes into windows but the graphics card is extremely loud and the fan makes a weird noise and when i get into games the pc restarts after a few minutes. i checked the temps and they are not hot enough for the pc to restart so idk why is it restarting.

the exact gpu is the gtx 970 zotac blower edition
rest of my pc :
i5 3740
16gb ddr3 ram
512 ssd
2 x 500gb hdd
dq77mk motherboard
500w novatech Power Station.

Solution
What power supply would you recommend?
The PSU is fine since you can play few minutes before it shutdown..otherwise if PSU was the culprit it wont even boot your GPU.

Your mobo shut down the pc on its own for safety reason.. your GPU is getting too hot and need a replacement thermal paste.

just clean your gpu old thermal paste and replace it and clean its heat sink too.

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
its your gpu problem that why the fan blow so hard..
best is to disassemble it and replace the thermal. probably dried already.

when u restart and check its temp obviously its not that hot. but once ur in-game you will see temperature reaching 85+.

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
its your gpu problem that why the fan blow so hard..
best is to disassemble it and replace the thermal. probably dried already.

when u restart and check its temp obviously its not that hot. but once ur in-game you will see temperature reaching 85+.
i have msi afterburner on in games and it goes to 81 degrees on 100 load. so it shouldn't shutdown.

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
What power supply would you recommend?
The PSU is fine since you can play few minutes before it shutdown..otherwise if PSU was the culprit it wont even boot your GPU.

Your mobo shut down the pc on its own for safety reason.. your GPU is getting too hot and need a replacement thermal paste.

just clean your gpu old thermal paste and replace it and clean its heat sink too.

Solution

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019

thank you. i will try

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019

i changed the thermal paste and cleaned the gpu and the temps are a bit better by 4-5 degrees although the pc still restarts after about 5 min of gameplay

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
Before your used 970 GPU, What GPU did you used? Does it do the same?
before this gpu i had a 750 ti and the maximum it would go to was 68 with a +250 on core overclock . but i am not worried about the temps anymore beacuse i read that anything below 85 should be safe since the max temp is 85. and on other forums everyine said the problem is the psu

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
it also goes to 82 degrees with the fan on 80 percent so if i make it higher it should be better the only thing i am worried about now is the fan making a weird noise although it spins normaly at full speed and cools it just makes a weird vibration noise although the gpu fan is spinning really fast lime 3000 rpm so maybe that's why.

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
it also goes to 82 degrees with the fan on 80 percent so if i make it higher it should be better the only thing i am worried about now is the fan making a weird noise although it spins normaly at full speed and cools it just makes a weird vibration noise although the gpu fan is spinning really fast lime 3000 rpm so maybe that's why.

is there something blocking your 970 fan preventing it getting air flow? like a wire maybe try to remove the side panel case and test while pc case is open.

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
is there something blocking your 970 fan preventing it getting air flow? like a wire maybe try to remove the side panel case and test while pc case is open.
its the same without a side panel and i think i might actually have a wire blocking the fan i will try to do some cables managment