Swapnil_221b

Reputable
Nov 26, 2016
My pc keeps getting shutdown automatically. Every time I need to Turn off the power and hold the power button for 15-30 seconds, then plug the power again to turn on the pc. Is this because of my psu? My current psu is thermaltake toughpower 1250w which is almost 5 or 6 years old.

MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450m mortar max
CPU: ryzen 5 3600
SSD: 256gb
HDD: 1tb
GPU: gtx1660 super
RAM: 16gb ddr4

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"My current psu is thermaltake toughpower 1250w which is almost 5 or 6 years old. "

And likely beyond (or well beyond) its' designed EOL (End of Life).

All the more so if heavily used for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, etc. that correspond with the times of the automatic shutdowns.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance indicate a problematic PSU.

Is it possible for you to swap in a known working PSU of the same wattage and efficiency?

Do not mix and match power cables: Use cables only from the swapped in PSU.

Reactions: Swapnil_221b

Swapnil_221b

Reputable
Nov 26, 2016
"My current psu is thermaltake toughpower 1250w which is almost 5 or 6 years old. "

And likely beyond (or well beyond) its' designed EOL (End of Life).

All the more so if heavily used for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, etc. that correspond with the times of the automatic shutdowns.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance indicate a problematic PSU.

Is it possible for you to swap in a known working PSU of the same wattage and efficiency?

Do not mix and match power cables: Use cables only from the swapped in PSU.
I have checked the PSU and it seems the cooling fan of psu is not working. I think that is the problem. Is there any way to solve this?
Thank you

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS