[SOLVED] PC shutdows automatically and wont turn on

Swapnil_221b

Reputable
Nov 26, 2016
My pc keeps getting shutdown automatically. Every time I need to Turn off the power and hold the power button for 15-30 seconds, then plug the power again to turn on the pc. Is this because of my psu? My current psu is thermaltake toughpower 1250w which is almost 5 or 6 years old.

MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450m mortar max
CPU: ryzen 5 3600
SSD: 256gb
HDD: 1tb
GPU: gtx1660 super
RAM: 16gb ddr4

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"My current psu is thermaltake toughpower 1250w which is almost 5 or 6 years old. "

And likely beyond (or well beyond) its' designed EOL (End of Life).

All the more so if heavily used for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, etc. that correspond with the times of the automatic shutdowns.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance indicate a problematic PSU.

Is it possible for you to swap in a known working PSU of the same wattage and efficiency?

Do not mix and match power cables: Use cables only from the swapped in PSU.

Reactions: Swapnil_221b

Swapnil_221b

Reputable
Nov 26, 2016
"My current psu is thermaltake toughpower 1250w which is almost 5 or 6 years old. "

And likely beyond (or well beyond) its' designed EOL (End of Life).

All the more so if heavily used for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, etc. that correspond with the times of the automatic shutdowns.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance indicate a problematic PSU.

Is it possible for you to swap in a known working PSU of the same wattage and efficiency?

Do not mix and match power cables: Use cables only from the swapped in PSU.
I have checked the PSU and it seems the cooling fan of psu is not working. I think that is the problem. Is there any way to solve this?
Thank you

Ralston18

Titan
PSU's are not made or meant to be repaired.

The best you can do is to replace the PSU with a quality units of sufficient wattage to power your build.

Start here:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

You can easily find similar links to expand your knowledge and research until you become comfortable with selecting the appropriate PSU.

Reactions: Swapnil_221b
Solution