PC shuts down after 30 sec / no signal to monitor

readerikk

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Hello, my computer was running completely fine for around 3 years. Yesterday out of a sudden (nothing changed) I had trouble to turn it on, all fans started to spin for 1 second, then stopped, and the pc restarted - infinite loop. I turned it off, unplugged the power cord, let it rest for 10 min, tried again, and eventually after 5 resets it managed to turn on and I had no trouble with it for the rest of the day. However, I tried to turn it on again today - no success at all. I cleaned up everything inside from dust, unplugged all cords from the PSU, plugged back in - still the same.

Now it gets interesting - I put my RAM into a different slot and the PC turned on for about 30 seconds - then turned off (no beeps), turned back on and seems to be running fine (all fans spinning, hardware looks just fine) - but I can't get any signal to the monitor and pressing num lock on my keyboard doesn't do anything (it normally turns on the LED on - that's how I know it booted up successfully). The RAM works fine in all 3 slots except the one I've been using for 3 years.

I also tried unplugging the power cord and holding the power button for 1 minute - nothing has changed.

Do you have any ideas what part could be faulty? motherboard or PSU?

Thank you very much.

Solution
Hey guys, I know this is almost a year later but did replacing the PSU solve the problem? I've got the exact same problem. Problem came out of the blue, had a perfectly fine working system for 5 years. I've replaced a few components over the years but the PSU has remained the same: A Corsair 650W PSU.

readerikk

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
CPU: i5 4690
MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 16 GB (2x 8GB)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660
HDD: some 1 TB/7200 hdd
PSU: Seasonic Energy Knight SS-500ET - 500W, been used since early 2014

TimmyDee

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Hey guys, I know this is almost a year later but did replacing the PSU solve the problem? I've got the exact same problem. Problem came out of the blue, had a perfectly fine working system for 5 years. I've replaced a few components over the years but the PSU has remained the same: A Corsair 650W PSU.

Solution

readerikk

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

Hey there, yeah, replacing the power supply fixed it. Hope it helps.

Gorzul

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014
Hey guys, sorry for another necro but im having the same exact problem, not every 30s mind you, but it happens every once in a while thoughout the day.
I'd be playing a game or away from PC. monitors just turn off (no Signal from Display Port) and you cant do anything other than a hard reset.
When that happens in game, its usually just after a small freeze in game. and boom monitor off, no signal.
I cant figure out what is wrong, did all of the above didnt help, I even installed windows 10 recently, under windows 7 the Nvidia drivers would keep crashing. No matter how many newer ones I install even with DDU.
But now its monitors just going off under win10. Would really appreciate some help.

And here's my pc specs:
CPU: Intel i7-4820K LGA 2011 64 + Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: 32GB (8x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200 Desktop, Red CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R
GPU: ASUS ROG Swift 1080ti
HDD: SSD Samsung 1tb
PSU make and age: 4 years, Corsair Professional Series 860 Watt Digital ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply AX860i (links to 1200w, but its 860W model)
Dual Monitors: ROG SWIFT PG278RQ(primary) + BenQ XL2411

Note: Nothing is OCed.

Last edited: