Question PC shuts down after installing a new GPU ?

kvoetvae

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
Hello!

I recently upgraded to RX 6800. I usually don't play the most graphically demanding games, but when I try something really intense, for example some UE 5.1 tech demos, the GPU starts drawing 180Watts and the PC completely shuts down after 3-4 seconds, and I have to manually turn it back on. Also what's weird is that the GPU temp immediately reaches 80°C and the fans go to 3500RPM. There isn't any BSOD, or any error code etc.

I've read that the GPU recommends 650W PSU, however, mine is 600W one (CoolerMaster brand), and it's been running for 10 years without causing such issues before. Many online PSU calculators say that 450W is the maximum draw for my PC's components, so that's why I didn't upgrade my PSU alongside the GPU.

My question is - what's more likely to cause the PC's shutdown, is the PSU turning it off because it can't provide the Watts, or is the GPU causing it to turn off regardless of the PSU's age/wattage? Also, if it's a faulty PSU, is it a normal behaviour if it can't provide the Wattage to cause a GPU to reach 80°C, instantly when the game starts rendering (it was 50°C on idle)?

well GPU might draw ~230watts under load, but that is average power draw
03-Peak-Power-1.png

transient power draw is usualy much higher, hence why recommended power supply is much higher than what GPU draws on average

and to be fair, 10year old PSU cant reliably provide its rated capacity anymore, unless PSU has 10yr warranty

kvoetvae

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
well GPU might draw ~230watts under load, but that is average power draw
03-Peak-Power-1.png

transient power draw is usualy much higher, hence why recommended power supply is much higher than what GPU draws on average

and to be fair, 10year old PSU cant reliably provide its rated capacity anymore, unless PSU has 10yr warranty
Ah, that makes more sense now, the transient power draw. PSU was considered a mid range, I doubt it that it had 10 years warranty. Pretty sure it had 5 years.

kvoetvae

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
10 year old 600w Cooler Master. Pretty sure it's some junk group regulated unit they had back in the time. What's the exact model?
So I got it in a bundle with my old case. Currenty having a new case, but using the same PSU. The exact model is Cooler Master Thunder 600W .

kvoetvae

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
Yeah, that's one of the garbage groupregulated units they have. Also known as B600. The internal design is not sufficient for your hardware. You have to replace it with a much more modern PSU with LLC + DC-DC topology. Tier A in https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/
Thanks for letting me know. I have no idea how it managed to survive 10 yrs, and the PC was running a lot during the time, especially for gaming. By the way, I already ordered Seasonic B12 850W earlier today. Not quite Tier A, it's ranked as tier B, I hope it would be enough & durable.