[SOLVED] PC Shuts down after startup

Classic122

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
I was playing R6 when my PC suddenly shut down. There were no odd smells or noises, it just shut down without warning. Right after it turned off it turned back on as it would during a power surge, but this was not a power surge. About half a second after it turned back on it shut down again. I hit the power button but nothing happened. So I turned off and unplugged the power supply for about 15 minutes before trying to start it back up again. After turning on and plugging back in the power supply I hit the power button and the fans spun for about half a second before stopping. I tried that again a few more times with the same result. I think this has something to do with a defective power supply/motherboard but i'm not sure. It is also worth mentioning that I moved the RAM to see if that would fix anything, it did not. What do you guys think?

Specs:

GPU - GTX 1060 6GB
CPU - FX - 8350 with Wraith Cooling
Motherboard - M5A78L - M PLUS/USB 3
PSU - ORION Model No. HP585DB
RAM - 16 GB DDR3

Last edited:
Solution
Well all I would say at this point, is I wouldn't touch the PSU with a barge pole! From what I can see it's also 580W PEAK wattage. Which is always a danger sign.

Unfortunately poor quality power supplies could easily cause this problem and risk instability or damage to the rest of your system. Just see point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

it actually also looks like it only delivers circa 180 watts on the 12V rail from what I can see.

Even if it isn't the power supply (which it likely is) - it would absolutely be worth upgrading anyway for a good quality unit.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well all I would say at this point, is I wouldn't touch the PSU with a barge pole! From what I can see it's also 580W PEAK wattage. Which is always a danger sign.

Unfortunately poor quality power supplies could easily cause this problem and risk instability or damage to the rest of your system. Just see point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

it actually also looks like it only delivers circa 180 watts on the 12V rail from what I can see.

Even if it isn't the power supply (which it likely is) - it would absolutely be worth upgrading anyway for a good quality unit.

Solution

Classic122

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019

I think I am going to go with upgrading my PSU. Any suggestions?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Based on current prices on pcpartpicker:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $89.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 06:00 EDT-0400

If you want more budget friendly but not as good as above:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $59.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 06:01 EDT-0400

Reactions: Classic122

Classic122

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
Based on current prices on pcpartpicker:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $89.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 06:00 EDT-0400

If you want more budget friendly but not as good as above:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $59.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 06:01 EDT-0400

Does the Seasonic come with all the wires I need? If not, what ones do I need to buy that can connect to my motherboard?

Classic122

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
Most motherboards do this on cold boot (i.e. new power supply or power cut from mains to PSU).

Windows 10 fast startup can't work if there's no +5VSB to the motherboard at all times.

Give it one cold reboot and that problem will go away for good.

Ok, I gave it a cold reboot and now it either freezes on 3 screens. The Desktop, the sign in screen, or the first windows logo. Not sure why this is happening.