PC shuts down and reboots automatically while playing high-end games!

Rampy

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
my pc shuts down automatically whenever i play highend games like assassins creed : blackflag, Far cry 3. my pc specs are
cpu-i5 4670k
gpu-r9 280x vapor-x tri-x
ram- 8gb ddr3 gskill 1600mhz
mobo- msi z87-g41 pc mate
PSU- corsair VS650

temperatures never go higher than 60 degrees while playing games!

please help me and i feel its because of my PSU!

Solution
Go to your BIOS, and somewhere you should be able to monitor. In the my Asus Mobo BIOS, it's just a tab called "Monitor". Now, you should be able to see something called 12V. Then there should be a reading. If its lower than ot close to 11.5-11.6 than your PSU is the problem. thats how I fixed it, err, found out that it's my PSU. I replaced it and it fixed it.

ircluzar

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
are the 6-pin connectors correctly connected to your graphics card?

Try doing a memtest just in case your memory has problems (use windows memory diagnostic tool, simple google search)
try swapping your psu with someone you know that has a similar or more powerful one, maybe it is defective, maybe it isn't powerful enough
try swapping your hard drive with another and install windows on this one. If everything works in that way, maybe it's a corrupted windows install or broken drivers.

Other crazy things to try:
swapping gpu with someone
swapping memory with someone who has compatible memory
swapping cpu with someone who has compatible cpu

Cheers and good luck

MightyBoyGaming

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Your PSU is more than likely the issue if it's old enough. That particular brand tends to lose output wattage earlier than most. So it could just be dipping low enough to screw with your GPU and cause it to shut down.

Either that or other common issues like bad overclocks or faulty GPU card.

It may be worthwhile using your gpu in someone elses machine to see if they get the same issues as you.

WintyFree

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014
Go to your BIOS, and somewhere you should be able to monitor. In the my Asus Mobo BIOS, it's just a tab called "Monitor". Now, you should be able to see something called 12V. Then there should be a reading. If its lower than ot close to 11.5-11.6 than your PSU is the problem. thats how I fixed it, err, found out that it's my PSU. I replaced it and it fixed it.

Solution

Aggroholic

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015

I got the same problem, my monitors show 12.2V is it still OK?