[SOLVED] PC Shuts Down and Reboots With No Warning

GraptikBlizzard

Prominent
Jul 3, 2021
I upgraded my PC a while back and ever since then, I've been getting random shutdowns (with no bluescreen) about once a month ever since. The PC will shut down with no blue screen and then reboot itself. This will happen regardless of the load. It has happened while gaming but it has happened more often when just browsing the web or using file explorer. It is definitely not the power supply as I replaced it with a brand new one and it is still happening. My temps are also fine so it's not thermal shutdown. When I get home I'm going to update my BIOS (if there is a new version available) and also check all the connections in the PC but I don't have much hope that this will fix it. I've stress tested the CPU and GPU for hours and both are fine. I also ran Memtest86 overnight and got no errors. Any advice would be appreciated.
Specs:
CPU: i9 10900k 4.9GHz
RAM: 16GB Corsair 3000MHz
GPU: MSI RTX 2080ti
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk
PSU: EVGA 750 B5

Solution
Well the past week I've updated to windows 11 and updated my BIOS, and it has just turned itself offand restarted while I was browsing the web (after a week full of gaming). Gonna try stepping my core clock down by 100MHz. If that doesn't work, I will try replacing the motherboard. I definitely don't think it's my PSU as I ran an overnight test with a GPU stress test and a CPU stress test running at the same time, it ran all through the night with both parts running at their maximum no problem, but then shut down today when I was just web browsing. If the PSU wasn't capable of running my system, it would crash when it all of the parts are running at full load, not when it's just idling, which makes me think it could be the...
Hey there,

Typically random restarts like that point to a PSU issue. You have a power hungry system, and although your PSU is decent enough, it could be the issue. Do you have a spare to swap out and test? If not, maybe bring to local repair store and they can swap it out and test for maybe €£$20 or so.

Between your CPU and GPU, if they are both operating at their max, they alone would draw close to 600w.

My computer was doing this as well, had a EVGA 750 G2 psu. swapped it out for a 1600w G2 i had laying around . Using evga precision x1 ive seen my 2080 ti spike 7% over what is set for power limit, more then likely your power supply cant handle those spikes like min couldnt and will trip the PSU and reboot the computer.

Mine only did it when playing New world but hasnt done so since switching PSU. A good 750W should work but i would up size to a 850W just to make sure.

GraptikBlizzard

Prominent
Jul 3, 2021
Hey there,

Typically random restarts like that point to a PSU issue. You have a power hungry system, and although your PSU is decent enough, it could be the issue. Do you have a spare to swap out and test? If not, maybe bring to local repair store and they can swap it out and test for maybe €£$20 or so.

Between your CPU and GPU, if they are both operating at their max, they alone would draw close to 600w.
I had this exact issue with my last power supply and I changed it to this new one and it's the exact same which makes me think it has to be a problem with some other part of the PC. Also it doesn't happen when the PC is under high load, I've only ever had it happen when I was idling or browsing the web or playing very basic games.

GraptikBlizzard

Prominent
Jul 3, 2021
My computer was doing this as well, had a EVGA 750 G2 psu. swapped it out for a 1600w G2 i had laying around . Using evga precision x1 ive seen my 2080 ti spike 7% over what is set for power limit, more then likely your power supply cant handle those spikes like min couldnt and will trip the PSU and reboot the computer.

Mine only did it when playing New world but hasnt done so since switching PSU. A good 750W should work but i would up size to a 850W just to make sure.
Would this happen when doing non intensive tasks though? I've only ever had it happen when I was idling or browsing the web or playing very basic games. I can run a full system stress test for hours with no problems but a random time when I'm barely using any resources, it will just shut down.

I had this exact issue with my last power supply and I changed it to this new one and it's the exact same which makes me think it has to be a problem with some other part of the PC. Also it doesn't happen when the PC is under high load, I've only ever had it happen when I was idling or browsing the web or playing very basic games.

Well, what I'm getting at, is that the RTX family (moreso 3xxx series, but still with 2080ti's) trigger the overprotections on the PSU. It's due to transient power spikes. The shutdowns don't necessarily have to be at load. Often they are random and sometimes at low load levels.

With that said, it may not be the PSU being the issue, rather the GPU causing otherwise good PSU's to trip. Have you another GPU you could pop in to check? Although if it's not on a level of 2080ti power draw, that might be a waste of time. But again, you could get local store to swap out GPU and test with existing PSU.

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
i would say its the PSU, its not powerful enough. it only has 16A more on the 12V rail than my 600w Aerocool Integrator 80+bronze. and im using this to run a low end = i5-11400, GTX 960 2GB, 16GB ram,1tb nvme, asus b560m-a, Antec nx410 white case. just sayin ;)

GraptikBlizzard

Prominent
Jul 3, 2021
i would say its the PSU, its not powerful enough. it only has 16A more on the 12V rail than my 600w Aerocool Integrator 80+bronze. and im using this to run a low end = i5-11400, GTX 960 2GB, 16GB ram,1tb nvme, asus b560m-a, Antec nx410 white case. just sayin ;)
Surely this would cause it to shutdown when under a high load, not when just idling?

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Surely this would cause it to shutdown when under a high load, not when just idling?

Nah, im no expert, but no way can that PSU handle your spec. I checked the PSU out online and it looks pretty basic. Here even is a description of the PSU from the EVGA website, its a budget version PSU you have there bud i'm afraid. evga website = "EVGA introduce the BQ Series of power supplies, designed with both beginner and enthusiast needs in mind. Presenting the next generation in value – the EVGA BQ 750 Watt PSU. These power supplies take some of the best features from EVGA's award winning power supply lineup, like a 140mm fan with near silent operation and modular cables to make one of the best values today in high performance power supplies. " you literally have a high end PC bud, but a budget PSU. Not trying to sound a pr**k.

Last edited:

GraptikBlizzard

Prominent
Jul 3, 2021
what you gonna do then bud?? Get a new PSU??
Well the past week I've updated to windows 11 and updated my BIOS, and it has just turned itself offand restarted while I was browsing the web (after a week full of gaming). Gonna try stepping my core clock down by 100MHz. If that doesn't work, I will try replacing the motherboard. I definitely don't think it's my PSU as I ran an overnight test with a GPU stress test and a CPU stress test running at the same time, it ran all through the night with both parts running at their maximum no problem, but then shut down today when I was just web browsing. If the PSU wasn't capable of running my system, it would crash when it all of the parts are running at full load, not when it's just idling, which makes me think it could be the motherboard. I also checked the wattage of the parts while the stress tests were on and combined they only consume 500W of power, that's 250W to spare for things like SSD and RAM, so I think PSU is out of the question, even if it's not exactly a high end unit.

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Well the past week I've updated to windows 11 and updated my BIOS, and it has just turned itself offand restarted while I was browsing the web (after a week full of gaming). Gonna try stepping my core clock down by 100MHz. If that doesn't work, I will try replacing the motherboard. I definitely don't think it's my PSU as I ran an overnight test with a GPU stress test and a CPU stress test running at the same time, it ran all through the night with both parts running at their maximum no problem, but then shut down today when I was just web browsing. If the PSU wasn't capable of running my system, it would crash when it all of the parts are running at full load, not when it's just idling, which makes me think it could be the motherboard. I also checked the wattage of the parts while the stress tests were on and combined they only consume 500W of power, that's 250W to spare for things like SSD and RAM, so I think PSU is out of the question, even if it's not exactly a high end unit.

yes you're prob right, what ssd do you have?, it could likely be that or even your ram. you'll need to swap stuff out and see if problem persists. That being said the PSU for that spec is still makin me feel uneasy. and ive just realized you oc'ing your cpu, thats probably gonna cause problems if unstable. you probably have an unstable oc.

Solution

GraptikBlizzard

Prominent
Jul 3, 2021
yes you're prob right, what ssd do you have?, it could likely be that or even your ram. you'll need to swap stuff out and see if problem persists. That being said the PSU for that spec is still makin me feel uneasy. and ive just realized you oc'ing your cpu, thats probably gonna cause problems if unstable. you probably have an unstable oc.
Yeah I did think it might be the SSD, it has been my daily driver for a few years now and it is a cheap one, but I did check it's health and it said 82%, how reliable that is, I don't know. I also did think of the overclock angle but this CPU boosts up to 4.9GHz at stock on all cores anyway and it is Prime95 stable, and typically OC errors result in a blue screen rather than just a complete shutdown. But both of those are things to try. Last night I did some digging and found this thread of 2080ti owners experiencing the exact same issues as me: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...cs-cards/5/295462/2080-ti-shuts-your-pc-down/
This is looking like the most likely culprit at the moment but I'm not really sure what I would do to remedy it as my card is out of warranty now and I wouldn't buy a new one just to prevent a shutdown or two per month.

TRENDING THREADS