shays47

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
i have an advent t9100 pc with 3ghz(prescott)pentium 4 processor. Every now and again, the pc will turn itself off, and then restart. Could i restore the pc to factory settings, and if so, how would i do this, as i do not have any recovery disks. What the problem be? Also, i am thinking of increasing my ram to 1gb, and also putting in a new 256mb graphics card. Would i be able to just slot these in? - the pc is ddr memory, and agp slots.

mi1ez

Splendid
When does it restart? after a while? running certain programs/tasks? when doing intense work?

Does the restart happen when it's been used a while? My first 2 thoughts are PSU and temperatures. Try opening the case and vaccuuming out as much dust as you can. Install temperature monitoring software and see how high they go (something like HWMonitor by CPUID would be a good bet)

shays47

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009

It doesn't seem to be at any particular time - could be browsing internet, or doing word document etc. Have installed the cpuid, what temperature is classed as too high? The pc has been on for approx. 2 hours, and the temperatures at the moment reads :

TMPIN0 - min 54 C, max 67 C
TMPIN1 - min 35 C, max 37 C
THRM - min 40 C, max 40 C
Assembly - min 36 C, max 37 C
Air Flow - min 36 C, min 37 C

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
the temps seem fine, you could start up the pc , while its starting press down the DEL button , this should get you into the BIOS screen ... somewhere on there should be an option for DEFAULT settings , enable it ....
then when you boot into the pc do a thourough scan for viruses and spyware etc ,, malwarebytes is a good prog for getting rid of ,, you guessed it,, malware , these are steps you should take for a rule out process

TRENDING THREADS