[SOLVED] pc shuts down and won't boot but suddenly starts working again

Jul 10, 2020
My friend has a pc which sometimes shuts down unexpectedly (regardless if it was under heavy or light usage) and other times when powered on simply doesn't display any image, not even the BIOS screen, although it sends energy for the peripherals like the mouse and keyboard (but they are unresponsive, so for example when you press the caps lock the indicator light doesn't turn on or the mouse rgb doesn't change like it should). when rebooted it continues without image but then after a while (even days sometimes) it boots up fine. when we opened it, the components seems alright, without noticeable faults.

the full specs are: MSI H310m PRO-VDH
i3 9100F
12gb ram corsair
rx 550 4gb
ssd 120gb
hd 250gb

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H310M-PRO-VDH#support-cpu

You need a 8th gen CPU to update the bios for your motherboard. Afterward, put in the 9th gen CPU (i3 9100F) then it will work.

1. If you can, return the motherboard H310 and get H370 or B365 motherboard
  2. return 9th gen CPU and get 8th gen CPU
  3. return all and get 10th gen CPU and motheboard socket 1200
  4. return all and go with AMD Ryzen and its motherboard. Make sure you check compatibility first and not need older CPU to update the motherboard to get it to work.
I thought it require bios update so I suggest it but maybe this is not the problem.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H310M-PRO-VDH#support-cpu

You need a 8th gen CPU to update the bios for your motherboard. Afterward, put in the 9th gen CPU (i3 9100F) then it will work.

1. If you can, return the motherboard H310 and get H370 or B365 motherboard
  2. return 9th gen CPU and get 8th gen CPU
  3. return all and get 10th gen CPU and motheboard socket 1200
  4. return all and go with AMD Ryzen and its motherboard. Make sure you check compatibility first and not need older CPU to update the motherboard to get it to work.
I thought it require bios update so I suggest it but maybe this is not the problem.

Unfortunately it's been a while so it can't be returned, but i'm not that knowleageble with computers, so it left me with two followup questions:

1. why does the unuptaded bios works sometimes but not all? like shouldn't it either be compatible or uncompatible at all? because it works most of the time, only every couple weeks it malfunctions.

2. why does it need the 8th gen cpu for the update? can we do it with the 9th gen at the moments it is working fine?

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
1. Since it works, most likely your motherboard has the updated bios to work with 9th gen CPU. So when it works, go to bios and see what version of bios you got, this is just to verify.

2. why does it need the 8th gen cpu for the update? can we do it with the 9th gen at the moments it is working fine? If it works for the 9th gen i3 9100F, you can use i3 9100F to update latest bios if needed.

3. What is the name and model of your power supply?

4. Did your friend do a clean install of window when building this computer?

Jul 10, 2020
1. Since it works, most likely your motherboard has the updated bios to work with 9th gen CPU. So when it works, go to bios and see what version of bios you got, this is just to verify.

2. why does it need the 8th gen cpu for the update? can we do it with the 9th gen at the moments it is working fine? If it works for the 9th gen i3 9100F, you can use i3 9100F to update latest bios if needed.

3. What is the name and model of your power supply?

4. Did your friend do a clean install of window when building this computer?

Yeah, we did a clean install when building it. Currently the pc is not turning on so we're waiting fot it to check if the bios version is the most recent or do an update.

The power supply is a ATX 500W by TDA. Can it be the cause of the issues, since it is not 80 plus rated (even though 500w it well over the required power for the build)? It is fairly recent, around a year old, so i don't think it may be age related, but i'm not sure of anything at this point

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
I am not 100% sure what is wrong with your friend's PC. If I have to guess, I will go for swap out with another good known working power supplies. If you have your own PC, you can try to put yours in his PC to see if problem goes away.

If he has to buy one, try to buy a brand power supplies like eVGA, Seasonic,..... I suggest go to the forum and ask people for a recommendation based on his budget. Don't buy a generic.

Jul 10, 2020
That's a 360w PSU at best, and it's rebranded generic garbage on top of that.
Yeah i figured it doesn't deliver the 500w it promises, but can PSU issues be the reason it unexpectedly shuts down and doesn't want to turn on, or when it does it freezes at the bios? if it helps, on outervision's PSU calculator it says the build has a load of 267w and recommends a 317w unit

Jul 10, 2020
ok so my friend managed to check the bios version and it says it is E7B29IMS.110, which is a different naming convention than in MSI's website, but it seems to be version 11, and the support for 9th gen cpus only starts at version 14, so we'll try to update it and see if it solves the issue. Meanwhile we'll see the possibility of getting a more reliable PSU too, thanks for the help.

It will be some days until we know for sure, but in case the problem comes back, do i create another thread or keep posting on this one?